Let me start by saying that this full jar of dark chocolate coconut almond butter was finished in about a week flat. I ate this stuff like, 3 times a day on everything from toast to apples to a spoon. It’s so wonderfully addictive, and I can’t promise it’s going to last long in your house!
I’m a nut butter addict, and while I used to be allllll about peanut butter (evident by the 25 peanut butter recipes you can find in my recipe index), I think I’m slowly but surely converting to almond butter for most things that use nut butters. And I absolutely LOVE creating new flavors of almond butters. This one is definitely my favorite that I’ve made so far. It’s pure heaven for a chocolate and coconut lover like me.
I did have some…issues, in the making of this almond butter. I was using one of the smaller Vitamix models initially and when it started smoking, I transferred the almond butter to a small little food chopper thing that finished the almond butter perfectly, making it smooth and creamy and drippy and absolutely wonderful. Here’s some pictures of the process so that you can see the different stages of almond butter processing! It probably took about 7 minutes blending time.
This batch is long gone, but I’m totally going to be making it again once I’m done with my current jar of almond butter (so probably really soon, at the rate I’m going).
I know some people think making your own nut butters is too much work, and sometimes even I just can’t be bothered, but if you have the time and equipment, it really is worth it! I’m always floored by the results when I make my own. You just can’t beat it!
Hope you guys will try it out, and enjoy!
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- Place almonds in a food processor or Vitamix. Process for 7-10 minutes, scraping down the sides as necessary. The almond butter will first get powdery, then pasty, and then start to form a butter. Process until the almonds have turned smooth and dripping.
- Remove from the Vitamix or food processor and stir in the remaining ingredients. Store in an airtight jar.