Whole Wheat Apple Carrot Muffins
The most amazing Whole Wheat Apple Carrot Muffins! With apples, carrots, flax seeds, and whole wheat flour, they’re full of nutritional benefits.
Shana tova!! That’s Hebrew for happy new year! Hey guys, so I’m home from school today. Why, do you wonder? Because it’s the Jewish New Year!! So I’ve been baking all morning in preparation for tonight’s festivities and I’ll be leaving for temple about 15 minutes. However, before I share my delicious treats (next post, don’t worry!), you can try my new muffin recipe.
It’s actually a recipe that’s been floating around the internet for a while now, originally taken from the back of the Bob’s Red Mill flax seed bag. However, while making muffins for my health-obsessed sister Shaina I knew I needed to improve on the already-healthy muffins and still make them taste like heaven. These whole wheat carrot apple muffins are what I’ve come up with.
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (whole wheat flour works fine too)
- ¾ cup ground flaxseed
- ¾ cup oat bran
- ½ cup maple syrup (can also use honey)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ cups grated carrots
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used sliced almonds)
- ¾ cup milk of choice
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together flour, ground flaxseed, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir in carrots, apples, raisins (if desired) and nuts. Combine milk of choice, maple syrup or honey, egg whites and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are moistened. Take care not to over mix.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
Keywords: muffins, whole wheat, apple, carrot, healthy, breakfast, brunch, dessert