These Apple Oatmeal Muffins are naturally vegan and absolutely full of apple flavor from sautéed apples, apple cider, and applesauce! These healthier muffins are sure to be a breakfast favorite.
Okay, let’s be honest: these muffins sound *yawn* boring. But! Their perfection is in their simplicity, and I mean it when I say these muffins are super addicting, flavorful, and delicious.
I first made these as an excuse to bake for a school project for my social entrepreneurship class. My group and I had to participate in a business plan competition as part of the class, so of course when I heard that people got to vote for the people’s choice award, I knew I had to bake something to help sway people’s votes my way.
My business plan revolved around providing wider access to affordable, healthy produce, so I aimed to create a baked good that centered around being easy, hearty, and delicious, to reflect the business I presented. For the night of the competition, I ended up making this recipe like, 5 times, because I kept thinking I didn’t have enough mini muffins.
Over the course of those 5 times, I made little tweaks and edits to the recipe, and below is my favorite version. Sautéing the apples isn’t totally necessary, but it sure is delicious and adds an extra dimension of flavor to the muffins.
As for how they went over…people were raving over these muffins. One guy stopped by our table and ate six right in a row, and then continued to pop another in his mouth every time he walked by. Something about them was just addicting. After the event (p.s. I lost people’s choice award, but my business plan won 1st!), we had a bunch left over (remember those 5 batches…?) and my house mates and I devoured them in no time.
These apple oatmeal muffins are so flavorful from the applesauce, cider, and chopped apples, full of great texture from the oats, and so soft and sweet from all those things combined. You will totally have NO idea that these are vegan. These are a perfect on-the-go snack, they’re lunchbox ready, or pop them in the freezer and microwave one for breakfast! Enjoy!
Apple Oatmeal Muffins (Vegan)
For the apples
- 1 apple peeled and chopped into 1/4” cubes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the batter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar can substitute with coconut sugar to make it refined sugar free
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup apple cider or non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- In a small saucepan, saute the apples, brown sugar and cinnamon for about 5 minutes over medium heat. The apples should begin to soften and caramelize slightly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Stir together flours, oats, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Add in the applesauce, vegetable oil, and cider or milk. Stir until just moistened. Fold in chopped apple. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 18 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from my Vegan Blueberry Muffins