This Paleo Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread is sweetened only with bananas for a guiltless treat that tastes just like traditional banana bread! This is easy recipe you’ll come back to again and again. This paleo banana bread is also gluten-free, grain free, and sugar-free.
I originally was not going to post this recipe on Bakerita, not only because I already have way too many banana bread recipes on this site, but also because 80% of them include chocolate in some way. Oops. #sorrynotsorry
But…after I made it, and it got devoured within mere hours, with everyone having no idea it was grain-free and no sugar added (besides the chocolate), I decided it needed to be posted. Also: that’s why my pictures are sorta lame. Wasn’t really planning on posting them, but here we are. And YEAH – this is no sugar added. This banana bread is sweetened only with bananas. Of course, I ruined the sugar free thing by adding chunks of chopped chocolate (so much better than chocolate chips guys – try it), but who can resist melted chocolate chunks floated around their banana bread?!?
Leave the chocolate out though (or make your own paleo chocolate), and this stuff is totally paleo-friendly, grain-free, gluten-free, no sugar added, soy-free…I can’t think of any more “frees” but it could apply to more diet categories too.
(P.S. if you want the chocolate flavor without the chocolate chunks, try adding 1/2 cup cocoa powder!)
I was eating slivers of this banana bread with some of the chocolate coconut almond butter that I used in the recipe as well. It was so beyond good, guys. I absolutely love how guilt-free this stuff is, while tasting so insanely decadent. AND – it’s easy. I hate when quick batters take forever to come together, so it makes me happy that this one doesn’t take more than a few minutes of measuring and stirring ingredients together.
Soo…sorry about yet another chocolate banana bread recipe, but I hope you guys will try this one and agree it’s worth it!
- 4 bananas (2½ cups mashed or 575 grams)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup (140 grams) almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup (75 grams) coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 6 oz. dark chocolate, chopped* (see Notes for recommendation to keep 100% Paleo)
- Grease one 9"x5" loaf pan (or 8"x8" square pan, which is what I used) and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl or mixer, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract and nut butter until fully combined.
- Add the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt to the wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes if using a square pan, and 50-60 if using a loaf pan. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for about ½ hour. Flip out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Enjoy this recipe? Check out some of my similar favorites below!