You’ll love this easy-to-make Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Cake! All you need are two bowls, one pan, and 10 minutes to mix up the batter. The cake has a moist and airy crumb. Plus, check out 15 other delicious vegan cake recipes in this post.
for the cake
- 2¼ cups (220g) blanched almond flour
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup (57g) tapioca flour
- ⅓ cup (43g) coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus the zest (about 3 tablespoons)
- ⅔ cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup (50g) refined coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup (84g) pure maple syrup
- 1 flax egg, see Notes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
for the glaze (see notes)
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Non-dairy milk, as needed
for the cake
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 9” bundt pan with coconut oil. My pan has a 6-cup capacity. You could also use a 9-inch cake pan (I recommend one with high sides, or use a springform pan).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut sugar, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk thoroughly. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, dairy-free milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, flax egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. You’ll have a thick batter. Pour into the prepared pan and spread the batter evenly.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed with a fingertip.
- Let cool completely before removing it from the pan and glazing.
for the glaze
- Melt the coconut butter until runny. Place in a small bowl and whisk in 1 tablespoon of the maple syrup. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Taste, and adjust maple and lemon juice to suit your tastes.
- If the mixture is too thick, thin it out with warmed dairy-free milk until it reaches your desired consistency.