This Bacon Toffee is easy, delicious, and super addictive! Bacon adds a smoky, salty twist to a classic holiday favorite. Only five ingredients!
Today I teamed up with some amazing bloggers in honor of an exciting celebration: David from Spiced Blog and his wife Laura are expecting a baby boy! In honor of the baby on the way, Chris from Shared Appetite organized a super manly baby shower to help send David and Laura some delicious blogger love before their little sous chef arrives. Everyone made some delicious things – you can see the full list down below!
I love following David’s blog and seeing how guys can kill it as food bloggers too! I was also super excited to come up with a “manly” treat to share for this virtual baby shower.
My first thought was bacon. Obviously, I had to put bacon into something. Probably something chocolatey, if the success of my Bacon Caramel Brownies gave any indication of how much people like chocolate and bacon together.
I ended up settling on a recipe that’s super easy and always a crowd pleaser: toffee. This isn’t regular English toffee, but more similar to the “crack toffee” that’s so often made around the holidays. It has a layer of Saltines on the bottom, topped with a brown sugar butter mixture that turns into crunchy toffee, chocolate spread on top, and of course – tons of bacon bits!
I baked and drained the bacon and then chopped it up into little bits so you’d get some in each bite. I sprinkled half the bits below the caramel mixture and half the bits on top of the chocolate – there’s more bacon hidden in these bars then meets the eye!
The smoky bacon and the crunchy, saltiness of the saltines paired with the sweetness of the toffee and the chocolate is an irresistible combination. The bacon adds a little manliness, but these bacon toffee shards are good enough to be enjoyed by anyone and everyone.
If you want to enhance the salty sweet even more, sprinkle a bit of fleur de sel on top of the chocolate along with the bacon. I wish I had! I love the immediate hit of salt that sprinkling a little fleur de sel on top of a sweet dessert adds. It really balances out the sweetness of the chocolate and the toffee.
After you whip up this easy toffee, take a stroll around the rest of the baby shower and check out all of these delicious recipes from some of my blogger friends, listed below the recipe! Enjoy :)
- 4 ounce package saltine crackers 1 sleeve if you have a big box
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 10 slices bacon cooked, drained, and chopped into bits
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper; spray with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange saltine crackers in single layer on the bottom of the sheet pan. Sprinkle evenly with half of the bacon bits.
- In a saucepan, whisk together butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes without stirring. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate evenly and top with chopped bacon. Cool completely and break into pieces.
- Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Hand Pies by American Heritage Cooking
- Chocolate Bacon Toffee by Bakerita
- Pumpkin Beer Soft Pretzels by Baking A Moment
- No Bake Salted Caramel Apple Slice by The Big Man’s World
- Philadelphia Cheesesteak – Southern Style by Beer Girl Cooks
- Shredded BBQ Chicken Nachos by Blahnik Baker
- Cinnamon Churros by Cook With Manali
- Grilled Brown Butter Burgers with Swiss + Boubon Mushrooms by Cooking for Keeps
- Cider Braised Brisket by Foodness Gracious
- Ham Potato and Corn Chowder by Gather For Bread
- Mini Croques Monsieur Sandwiches by Hip Foodie Mom
- Wolfpack-Style Meatballs by The Iron You
- Pecan Praline Popcorn by Jem Of The South
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Pecan Tarts by Kevin Is Cooking
- Maple Sriracha Pulled Pork Mini Pies by Life Made Sweeter
- Vanilla Almond Snowball Cake by Pizzazzerie
- Cinnamon Bacon Donuts by Runnin Srilankan