This simple Blueberry Muffin Oatmeal is sweetened with a banana, spiced with cinnamon and topped with an easy blueberry compote! Top with all your favorite toppings for a delicious, healthy + filling breakfast that is far from boring.
I’ve been on a major oatmeal kick recently! Since I did Whole30, my go-to breakfast has changed a bit. I used to eat Greek yogurt with berries and granola pretty much every single morning.
After coming off Whole30 though, I’m realizing that dairy might not be my best friend. It tends to disrupt my stomach, and I’ve been generally feeling better when I avoid dairy. Which is a huge bummer (goodbye ice cream and cheese), but I’m making do so far.
I do okay with grains though, so gluten-free rolled oats have made their way back into my diet and have become one of my favorite breakfasts. I’ve always loved oatmeal, but I’ve started experimenting more lately instead of just making my fave chocolate peanut butter oatmeal.
This Blueberry Muffin Oatmeal has quickly become a favorite in the rotation, and since a bunch of people message me for the recipe whenever I put them on my Instagram Stories, I thought I better share with everyone :)
The oats are super simple, and sweetened with just a ripe banana. I don’t find it needs any sweetness beyond that, especially with the natural sweetness that comes from the blueberry topping. However, I don’t like my breakfast too sweet, so if you want some more sweetness, a little drizzle of maple syrup on top of the oats would be delicious.
The blueberry topping is what makes them reallllyyy extra delicious, and it’s so simple. Just simmer some blueberries with lemon juice and water until it’s broken down and jammy, and then add some more blueberries and soften them just a tad. Then pile on top of your oats!
I like making an extra big batch of the compote at one time so I can keep it in the fridge for my morning oats without needing to make it fresh each morning, and I just warm it up a bit in the microwave before topping my oats so it’s nice and warm.
Along with the blueberry compote, I pile on ALL the toppings I want. For this bowl, I added almond butter, pecans, chia seeds, and some frozen blueberries. Sometimes a little bit of granola and/or flax seeds also make their way into the mix. I also love stirring some collagen powder into the oats right when they’re done cooking to add some protein.
This recipe is so basic, but so delicious. I hope you’ll try it for breakfast one morning when you’re needing something warm and hearty :) enjoy!!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
- ⅓ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- ⅔ cup milk of choice (use non-dairy for vegan - I used unsweetened almond milk)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (or add it to taste)
- ½ cup + ¼ cup blueberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Almond butter
- Chopped pecans
- Frozen blueberries
- Chia seeds/flax seeds
- In a small saucepan, combine the oats, mashed banana, milk, and cinnamon. Simmer until milk has absorbed into the oats, stirring frequently to prevent burning, about 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, while the oats are cooking, combine ½ cup blueberries, lemon juice, and water in a small saucepan. Cook until the blueberries have broken down and mash down to break them up. Let thicken slightly, and then stir in remaining ¼ cup blueberries. Remove from heat.
- Pour the oats in a serving bowl and top with blueberry compote. Garnish as desired with almond butter, chopped pecans, frozen blueberries, chia seeds, and/or whatever else you’d like! Enjoy immediately.