This simple Blueberry Muffin Oatmeal is sweetened with a banana, spiced with cinnamon and topped with an easy blueberry compote! Top with all your favorite toppings for a delicious, healthy + filling breakfast that is far from boring.
- ⅓ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- ⅔ cup milk of choice, use non-dairy for vegan – I used unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, or add it to taste
For the quick blueberry compote
- ½ cup + ¼ cup blueberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Almond butter
- Chopped pecans
- Frozen blueberries
- Chia seeds/flax seeds
- In a small saucepan, combine the oats, mashed banana, milk, and cinnamon. Simmer until milk has absorbed into the oats, stirring frequently to prevent burning, about 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, while the oats are cooking, combine 1/2 cup blueberries, lemon juice, and water in a small saucepan. Cook until the blueberries have broken down and mash down to break them up. Let thicken slightly, and then stir in remaining 1/4 cup blueberries. Remove from heat.
- Pour the oats in a serving bowl and top with blueberry compote. Garnish as desired with almond butter, chopped pecans, frozen blueberries, chia seeds, and/or whatever else you’d like! Enjoy immediately.