Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)
Ingredients in gluten-free oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
Virgin coconut oil: make sure it’s at room temperature and not too hot!
Almond butter: feel free to substitute your favorite nut butter or tahini to keep these nut-free. I love using nut butter as a base to add extra softness to the cookies 🙂
Flax eggs: see below for the breakdown on how to make flax eggs. This keeps the recipe vegan 🙂
Vanilla extract: a baking essential to make these cookies extra delicious!
Gluten-free rolled oats: Make sure to use a gluten-free variety to keep this allergy-friendly! Oats also help add that delicious chewy texture we all love🙂
Dark chocolate: I like to use 80% dark chocolate since I prefer that richer, pure chocolate flavor but feel free to use your favorite!
Flaky sea salt
How to make a vegan flax egg
- To make 1 flax egg first, mix together 1 TBSP flaxseed meal with 3 TBSP water.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes until a gel-like consistency is made.
- Use the mixture in the recipe just as you would a regular egg! For these oatmeal cookies you’ll need two eggs, so 2 TBSP of flaxseed meal and 6 TBSP of water total.
Tips for the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
More healthy cookies you’ll love
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (gluten-free, vegan)
Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies (nut-free, vegan, paleo)
I hope you love these cookies as much as me and Paige did! If you love them, please leave a review in the comments below and let me know what you thought. xoxo!Print
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil, room temperature
- ⅓ cup almond butter, sub any nut butter of choice, or tahini for a nut-free option*
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 2 flax eggs**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ⅔ cup (4 oz.) chopped dark chocolate, make your own chocolate to keep 100% Paleo
- Flaky sea salt, optional for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl or stand mixer, beat together the coconut oil, nut butter, and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the flax eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking soda, salt, coconut flour, and rolled oats to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chopped dark chocolate.
- Use a cookie scoop to form cookies and place 2” apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press down slightly to flatten – note that the cookies won’t spread very much, so press them down to the thickness you prefer. Sprinkle with a bit of flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for 10 minutes or golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool completely on the cookie sheet. Enjoy!
Keywords: cookies, gluten free, vegan, oatmeal, chocolate chip, dessert, healthy