This Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie is the ultimate thick, gooey oatmeal cookie! This gluten-free and vegan dessert is loaded with gooey chocolate. This one is sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings!
I’m back from the Caribbean, and I’m missing it already! After spending a week on a catamaran in the sunshine looking out over the clearest water I’ve ever seen, San Diego’s cloudy day seems a little lackluster.
Let’s be honest though: just about any place seems lackluster in comparison to the British Virgin Islands. It’s truly a piece of paradise. It was a long week packed with activity, but it also flew by in a flash.
We snorkeled, laid out, had boat dance parties, rode around on Sea-Bobs (OMG SO FUN), ate a lot, and swam with SHARKS 😱 the boat’s captain brought us out to a ship wreck to snorkel around in the middle of the ocean, and while we couldn’t see the shipwreck because it wasn’t quite clear enough, there were plenty of black-tip reef sharks cruising around.
All my daredevil cousins swam right towards the sharks – I saw them, and promptly swam back to the boat. It was super cool, but I wasn’t about to press my luck. We also saw tons of turtles and had some dolphin friends cruise along with us.
We also went riding on mopeds around the most beautiful island of Anegada one day – I’m not too great with two wheeled vehicles so I went on the back of my BMX-racer cousin’s moped. Thank goodness, because I definitely would’ve ended up injured with the dirt roads we were on. None of the days were short on excitement or activity, and I’m pretty wiped.
Yesterday was a very long day of travel, and I was thrilled to pass out in my bed, especially after we almost missed our connection and would’ve had to stay in Miami for the night.
We made it though, and I’m itching to start baking all of the delicious recipes I brainstormed while I was gone. First though, I’ve got to share this Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie with you guys! It’s pure heaven.
I’ve got quite a few delicious skillet cookie recipes, and they’re all so good, so I don’t know whyyy I haven’t made one in so long. They’re the epitome of a rich, gooey dessert, and they’re absolutely perfect for sharing (or not – you do you 😉).
I like to make mini ones in my 6-inch cast iron pan, but if you’re serving more than 3-4 people, you can double it for an 8-inch or 10-inch pan. It’s super rich, so a little bit goes a long way!
Even better, it comes together so quickly and easily. I just use a bowl and spoon – you really don’t need to break out the stand mixer for this one. You can also make the dough and press it into the pan and then keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to make – dessert on demand!
This recipe is made extra rich and gooey from the almond butter I added. You can use sunflower seed butter or tahini if you’re looking for a nut-free option. I also kept it vegan with flax eggs, but regular eggs can be used if you’re not concerned with it being vegan.
One thing I would not recommend switching up is the chocolate chunks. Chocolate chunks are forever greater than chocolate chips, and it’s so worth the extra step and chopping up some of your favorite chocolate. Chunks are waaayy meltier and gooier than chips, and this oatmeal chocolate chip skillet cookie is all about being gooey.
If you’re a pizookie fan, or a cookie fan, or a chocolate fan, this one is for YOU. I hope you’re whip it up soon – enjoy! :)
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie (Gluten Free + Vegan)
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil room temperature
- ⅓ cup (85g) almond butter can also use any nut butter of choice, or sunflower seed butter or tahini for a nut-free option
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 2 flax eggs 2 tablespoons flax meal + 6 tablespoons water - whisk them together and let sit for 5 minutes to gel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda use ¼ teaspoon if using sunflower seed butter - helps prevent the cookies from turning green when they cool!
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (32g) coconut flour
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ⅔ cup (4 oz.) chopped dark chocolate
- Flaky sea salt to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 6-inch oven-proof skillet with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a bowl or stand mixer, beat together the coconut oil, nut butter, and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the flax eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking soda, salt, coconut flour, and rolled oats to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chopped dark chocolate.
- Press the dough into the pan evenly. Sprinkle with a bit of flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for 20 minutes or golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, and serve warm. Enjoy!