This Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie is gooey in the middle, with crispy edges and all the flavors you love in a chocolate covered strawberry! This gluten-free, paleo and vegan skillet cookie will satisfy all your cravings – the fresh strawberries are the perfect fruity addition to this rich, chocolatey treat!
It’s been a while since a skillet cookie graced my house with its presence. For good reason too: since being single again, having skillet cookies in the house is HARD. They were much easier to have around when there was a second person there to help me devour it 😂
I’m a major lover of the skillet cookie though, and I’ve got a number of recipes on here to prove it, like my classic Paleo Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie, the fruity Blueberry Skillet Cookie, and the oh so irresistible Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie…
So today, with this Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie, I had a couple of bites and then took ALL OF MY SELF CONTROL and covered it up and popped it in the fridge – out of sight, out of mind, right?!
Doesn’t work as well when I’m sitting here drooooling over the photos as I edit them, though, and convincing you guys of the greatness of this strawberry chocolate chunk skillet cookie – because it is GREAT, indeed.
Thankfully, I’m writing this from the coffee shop, or I can’t promise I wouldn’t be eating spoonfuls of it right now. TOO good. Let me tell ya why exactly it’s so good…
Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie!
So, the recipe starts with coconut oil and a little almond butter – the almond butter helps add a rich, gooeyness to the cookie that’s irresistible! Coconut sugar is used to sweeten things up, and a flax egg helps it all come together.
You could use a real egg if you’d prefer, but I wanted to keep this recipe vegan. For the dry ingredients, you just need almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Easy peasy.
And now for the stars of the show – STRAWBERRIES and CHOCOLATE. I used fresh diced strawberries, and I would recommend sticking to fresh. I imagine that frozen would add too much moisture and make things mushy (we definitely don’t want that). For the chocolate, I went with dark chocolate chunks.
I always like chocolate chunks over chocolate chips, because they just melt better – chips usually have waxes added to help them keep their shape, which makes them not get gooooeyyy and melty like we’re after.
Once baked until golden brown, you’re rewarded with a Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie that has crispy edges, a gooey center, and chocolate and strawberries in every bite. The result is luscious and flavorful – the strawberries add a nice freshness, especially if you top with extra fresh strawberries! You’re going to LOVE this one – enjoy, friends!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie
- 3 tablespoons (38g) coconut oil solid at room temperature (should be the same consistency as softened butter)
- 2 tablespoons (32g) almond butter
- ⅓ cup (50g) coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon flax meal + 2.5 tablespoons water, whisk + let gel for 5 minutes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (96g) blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (3 oz.) dark chocolate chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh strawberries diced
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 6" cast iron skillet with coconut oil. Double the recipe if you're using an 8" skillet!
In a medium mixing bowl, stir or beat the coconut oil, nut butter and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the flax egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, baking soda and salt to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Gently fold in the chopped chocolate and strawberries.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 23-25 minutes or the edges are beginning to turn golden brown and the center is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool for ten minutes. Serve warm - it’s great alone, or add fresh strawberries, chocolate sauce, and/or ice cream on top!