This Strawberry Chocolate Tart is filled with vegan chocolate ganache and topped with fresh strawberries, all in a chocolate crust. Slice into this easy and delicious gluten-free, Paleo, and vegan dessert.
This post was originally published on March 28th, 2016. I thought it deserved an update, so I reshot the photos and made a few small changes to the recipe to make it simpler, more delicious, and much more luscious. This Strawberry Chocolate Tart is rich, with an epic chocolate ganache filling, all tucked into a simple chocolate crust. It’s easy to make, but impressive enough to serve to company.
As I tend to do, I left the original post text the same (even though it’s now kind of irrelevant). I feel bad deleting the words I once wrote, so I don’t. I keep them for nostalgia’s sake, to remind me of what I was doing at different times in my life. Skip down to the recipe if you’re not interested in reading about my trip to Costa Rica two years ago :) thanks for being here, my beautiful friends. I hope you have a great day! xoxo
Oh, Monday. Mondays after a holiday are always worse than the usual Monday, don’t you think? I spent the past week in Costa Rica with my whole mom’s side of the family, soaking in sun on the beach and chasing around monkeys and iguanas.
We had an incredible time, traveling first to Rio Perdido – an eco-friendly resort with the most incredible thermal river. The river (the resort’s namesake) is one of the few thermal rivers in the world. My sister, aunt, mom and I spent hours lounging in the 95-degree water, sitting with our backs against the rapids and letting nature give us a warm massage.
We went zip lining through canyons, tubing down a river, and spent lots of time admiring the monkeys jumping around the trees. Then we headed to the coast to Playa Conchal to meet up with the rest of my mom’s side of the family and spent our days in the sweltering sun, relaxing, and eating our weight in the most delicious fresh fruit.
We went snorkeling, made two-day trips to Tamarindo to explore the town, and ventured to the top of a hill via dirt road for massages and beautiful ocean views.
It was a magical week! After a long 8-day vacation, I’m ready to curl up in bed. But first:
Who wants a slice of this Chocolate Strawberry Tart?
Thankfully, if anything can get me excited today, it’s some chocolate and strawberries. Recently, I’ve been all about chocolate strawberry e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g lately. These chocolate strawberry brownies ignited the recent obsession. I made it acceptable for breakfast with this scrumptious and filling chocolate strawberry oatmeal. And now, we’re heading back to dessert territory with a strawberry chocolate tart!
Tarts are one of my favorite things to make. They’re simpler and faster to make than pies (no rolling out crust!) and always look so darn pretty – especially when fresh fruit is the star. This strawberry chocolate tart checks both those boxes, and has the added bonus of lots of chocolate!
We start with a chocolate crust. Then, we pile in some vegan chocolate ganache and top it off with strawberries. The whole thing is gluten-free, grain-free, and vegan! Three cheers for that.
The chocolate ganache is smooth and rich. The strawberries provide the much-needed burst of fruity flavor to cut through the chocolate. If your strawberries are super sweet on their own, you can skip the maple syrup. I loved this tart, and I hope you will too! Enjoy.
Strawberry Chocolate Tart
For the crust
- 1¾ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the filling
- 8 oz. dark chocolate chopped, I used 80%
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
For the topping
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries sliced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For the crust
Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, cacao powder, and salt. Stir in the melted coconut oil and maple syrup and mix until fully combined.
- Transfer dough to a greased 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using a measuring cup or your fingers, evenly press dough in bottom and up sides of pan.
- Bake in center of oven until golden and firm, about 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the chocolate ganache
- Place the dark chocolate in a bowl. Microwave the canned coconut milk for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until steaming (you can also do this over the stove). Pour the hot coconut milk over the chocolate and let stand for a few minutes. Stir until fully melted and combined. Pour into the cooled crust and transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl, combine the strawberries and maple syrup. Let macerate.
- Top with the strawberries, arranging however you desire. Serve immediately. This tart can also be made a a day or two ahead of time. If you’re planning on making it more than a few hours before needed, wait to add the berries until just before serving.
For the dark chocolate, I like to use Santa Barbara Chocolate's Coconut Sugar Sweetened Chocolate. It's both paleo and vegan! You can use the code BAKERITA for $10 off. If you want it darker, you can add some unsweetened chocolate too.