This Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie is an easy, one bowl recipe loaded with fresh raspberries and dark chocolate chunks. This gooey skillet cookie is gluten-free, Paleo, and refined sugar free.
I hope everyone had a nice + long holiday weekend! We’re officially post-Labor Day, so even though we haven’t reached the official end of summer quite yet, it feels like we’ve passed the unofficial conclusion of the sunny season. Even here in San Diego, though the days are still warm, a bit of that fall breeze in starting to roll in with a bite of chill in night air.
And even though I’m basking in every last bit of sunshine, I’m starting to get really excited about all that fall brings, specifically to the dessert table: apples, cinnamon, pumpkin, and lots and lots of chocolate!
Today I’m still stuck in berry land for a little while longer, but we’re also getting right into all things warm, gooey, melty, and delicious. Because just LOOK at the melted chocolate!
Today is also a special day around here…happy birthday Dad! 😘❤️ Not to get all mushy, but my dad has always been one of my best friends, closest confidants, and Bakerita’s biggest supporter. I can always rely on him for a sound piece of business advice, an honest review of my latest baked good creation, and to finish off whatever chocolate-y dessert is in the pantry or fridge.
Because let’s be real: my dad likes most of my desserts, but his favorite is always always chocolate. My dad is an absolutely nut for everything chocolate-y, and though this specific Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Skillet Cookie isn’t his birthday treat, he most definitely devoured half of this skillet by himself, so it seemed fitting to share a dessert he loved on his birthday.
My dad is also gluten-free, and it was his and my sister’s going gluten-free that made me start to experiment with baking minus the gluten, and then minus the grains, and the refined sugars. So of course…this skillet cookie doesn’t have any of those things and is the perfect treat for all you gluten-free, Paleo, and refined sugar-free folks.
Skillet cookies have become a favorite around here for good reason. There’s nothing quite like digging into a thick, gooey cookie and hitting a jackpot of melted chocolate chunks. Add fresh raspberries into the mix, and you’ve got a mixture of sweet, tart, rich, chocolatey, and fresh all at the same time.
Add some ice cream on top of the hot cookie and you’ve got the temperature differences of hot and cold in there too, and it’s a bit of dessert perfection. If you’ve ever had a Pizookie, you know what I mean.
Also…about the chocolate chunks. Please don’t use chocolate chips 🙏 unless you know they’re high-quality good ones that melt well. Most chocolate chips have waxes and additives that prevent them from turning into the melted puddles of chocolate we love, which will really inhibit the chocolatey gooeyness of your skillet cookie. Grab a bar of high-quality dark chocolate and give it a rough chop with your knife – I promise it’s so worth it.
Go forth and enjoy your week with this Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie – it’ll do the trick to make your day so much better. Happy baking!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
- ¼ cup coconut oil, solid at room temperature (should be the same consistency as softened butter)
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (96g or 4 oz.) blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (3 oz.) chopped dark chocolate (use homemade Paleo chocolate chunks to keep 100% Paleo + refined sugar free)
- ⅓ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 6" cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
- In a medium mixing bow, stir or beat the coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, baking soda and salt to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Gently fold in the chopped chocolate and raspberries - it's ok if the raspberries break up a little bit.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 15-18 minutes or the edges are beginning to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for ten minutes. Serve warm - alone, or with whipped coconut cream or ice cream.
- Paleo Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie
- Blueberry Skillet Cookie (Paleo + Gluten Free)
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie
- Salted Caramel-Filled Dark Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie