6 Ingredient Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies made healthier with vegan caramel, dark chocolate & a gluten-free paleo shortbread cookie base! Perfect for the holidays or whenever you have a cookie craving!
For the caramel
- 3 tablespoons (42g) creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons (25g) coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons (42g) pure maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt, to taste
For the drizzle
- 2 oz. dark chocolate, chopped or chips
- Flaky sea salt
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, melted coconut oil, and maple syrup and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking sheet.
- Form 15 balls with the dough, about 1 tablespoon each. Make an imprint in the center of each cookie with your thumb.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes for until light golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and use a small teaspoon to press down lightly on the thumb imprints again, to make sure theres room for the filling in case they puffed or spread in the oven at all. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond butter, melted coconut oil, and maple syrup until smooth. Fill each thumbprint with the caramel.
- Place chocolate in a microwavable bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Put the melted chocolate in a small zip bag, snip the corner, and drizzle over the cookies. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, to taste.
- Place cookies in the refrigerator to set. Keep stored in the refrigerator.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: cookies, thumbprint, caramel, chocolate, vegan, gluten free, paleo