Start your morning with Peanut Butter & Jelly Oatmeal for a healthy & delicious breakfast treat! This gluten-free and vegan oatmeal is sweetened with a ripe banana.
When I was younger, I did not like oatmeal…at all. All I had ever really tried was the instant packet variety which, in all it’s mushiness, didn’t really do anything for me. It wasn’t until I was in my late teens when my sister showed me how she makes her oatmeal – with rolled oats and sweetened with just a banana – that I finally started to appreciate it.
Now, I often crave a warm bowl of banana-sweetened oatmeal, especially on the upcoming cool fall mornings and cold winter days. But even with the still-warm weather, I can appreciate the deliciousness of a good bowl of oatmeal and it’s magical ability to keep me full for hours.
In this peanut butter + jelly oatmeal, I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free rolled oats, which have the most delicious wholesome flavor. I adore Bob’s Red Mill oats (and all their products) because I know I can trust them to be certified gluten-free, and always of the highest quality.
All the dietary fiber in the gluten free rolled oats is key to keeping you full for a while, which makes it the perfect back-to-school breakfast. The kiddos need all the brain power they can get before those school days, and you don’t want that brain power focused on their grumbling tummies.
But even for all us adults, this peanut butter & jelly oatmeal is a wonderful fiber + protein packed breakfast, and makes a perfect post-workout refuel meal. Not to mention…it’s super delicious, and so easy to make – it won’t take more than 10 minutes, max!
A little bit of peanut butter is stirred into the banana-sweetened oatmeal, and then both peanut butter & jelly are swirled on top of the oatmeal as well. I sprinkled my oatmeal with some peanuts too, because I love a little crunch. You can skip them, or just use crunchy peanut butter.
This peanut butter & jelly oatmeal will make you feel reminiscent of your childhood lunchbox favorite! Along with this chocolate strawberry oatmeal and chocolate peanut butter oatmeal, it’s taking a firm place on my “favorite oatmeals” list – I hope it’ll make it on to yours, too. Enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!Print
- ⅓ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 medium ripe banana (mashed)
- ½ cup milk of choice (use non-dairy for vegan – I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (divided)
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jelly (use your favorite flavor!)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted peanuts (chopped)
- In a small saucepan, combine the oats, mashed banana, and milk. Simmer until milk has absorbed into the oats, stirring frequently to prevent burning, about 5-8 minutes. Stir in one tablespoon of peanut butter.
- Place into a small bowl, swirl in the remaining peanut butter and jelly, and top with peanuts. Enjoy immediately!
- Category: Breakfast
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.