This Banana Bread French Toast is topped with caramelized bananas for a banana lover’s delight! This gluten-free, Paleo, and dairy-free french toast is sure to satisfy your breakfast and brunch cravings.
Calling all banana lovers! This post was made for you. If you’re not a banana fan – sorry, but you’re probably going to want to skip this one, because today is going to be full of delicious banana goodness.
French toast is getting a major upgrade right now, and all we had to do was switch out regular bread for one of my other favorite types of bread: banana bread! Sure, it requires making a batch of banana bread, but trust me friends: it’s so worth it.
I did make a batch of banana bread specifically for this purpose…but this banana bread french toast can totally be a thing you do with leftover banana bread (is leftover banana bread a thing that happens to people??). I provided my favorite banana bread recipe, which happens to be gluten-free and Paleo, but you can use whatever your favorite banana bread is.
And when you make it next, save a couple slices for a weekend morning – you’ll be happy you did. After the banana bread comes together, the rest of the banana bread french toast comes together pretty quickly.
A soaking mixture of eggs, coconut milk, honey or maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla extract is brought together. The banana bread goes for a quick bath in mixture before getting griddled to golden brown perfection.
At this point, you have a delicious banana bread french toast and you can stop here and go crazy with maple syrup and berries and whatever other toppings you want, but if you’re a true banana lover, you’ve got to go the extra mile and make the caramelized bananas. They take things to the next level.
Thankfully, they only take a couple minutes. The bananas are quickly sautéed in a pan with coconut oil and coconut sugar, and after a few minutes, the coconut sugar has melted into a beautiful caramel sauce. Try to resist eating all the caramelized bananas before they make it to the french toast.
Serve the banana bread french toast warm with allll the caramelized bananas, and devour! This will definitely help your weekend stand out, and make you a straight up brunch queen 👸 enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Banana Bread French Toast (Gluten Free, Paleo + Dairy Free)
For the banana bread
For the soaking mixture
- Grease one 9"x5" loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl or mixer, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract and nut butter until fully combined.
- Add the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for about ½ hour. Flip out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- Once the banana bread is completely cool, slice it into 1” thick slices.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, honey or maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat and grease wth a bit of coconut oil. Soak each slice of banana bread in the egg coconut milk mixture. Place in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Serve immediately with caramelized bananas.
For the caramelized bananas
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced bananas in an even layer and sprinkle the coconut sugar on top. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar has caramelized, coating the bananas. Serve immediately with banana bread french toast.