Banana Bread French Toast with Caramelized Bananas (Gluten Free, Paleo + Dairy Free)
This Banana Bread French Toast is topped with caramelized bananas for a banana lover’s delight! This gluten-free, Paleo, and dairy-free french toast is sure to satisfy your breakfast and brunch cravings.
Calling all banana lovers! This post was made for you. If you’re not a banana fan – sorry, but you’re probably going to want to skip this one, because today is going to be full of delicious banana goodness.
French toast is getting a major upgrade right now, and all we had to do was switch out regular bread for one of my other favorite types of bread: banana bread! Sure, it requires making a batch of banana bread, but trust me friends: it’s so worth it.
I did make a batch of banana bread specifically for this purpose…but this banana bread french toast can totally be a thing you do with leftover banana bread (is leftover banana bread a thing that happens to people??). I provided my favorite banana bread recipe, which happens to be gluten-free and Paleo, but you can use whatever your favorite banana bread is.
And when you make it next, save a couple slices for a weekend morning – you’ll be happy you did. After the banana bread comes together, the rest of the banana bread french toast comes together pretty quickly.
A soaking mixture of eggs, coconut milk, honey or maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla extract is brought together. The banana bread goes for a quick bath in mixture before getting griddled to golden brown perfection.
At this point, you have a delicious banana bread french toast and you can stop here and go crazy with maple syrup and berries and whatever other toppings you want, but if you’re a true banana lover, you’ve got to go the extra mile and make the caramelized bananas. They take things to the next level.
Thankfully, they only take a couple minutes. The bananas are quickly sautéed in a pan with coconut oil and coconut sugar, and after a few minutes, the coconut sugar has melted into a beautiful caramel sauce. Try to resist eating all the caramelized bananas before they make it to the french toast.
Serve the banana bread french toast warm with allll the caramelized bananas, and devour! This will definitely help your weekend stand out, and make you a straight up brunch queen 👸 enjoy!
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Snapchat
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!Print
Banana Bread French Toast (Gluten Free, Paleo + Dairy Free)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Total Time: 105 minutes
- Yield: 9 slices 1x
- Category: Breakfast
For the banana bread
- 4 bananas (2½ cups mashed or 575 grams)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup (140g) almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- ½ cup (75g) coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the soaking mixture
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cups canned coconut milk (light or full-fat will work)
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the caramelized bananas
- 2 bananas (cut into ½” slices)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Grease one 9″x5″ loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl or mixer, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract and nut butter until fully combined.
- Add the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for about ½ hour. Flip out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- Once the banana bread is completely cool, slice it into 1” thick slices.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, honey or maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat and grease wth a bit of coconut oil. Soak each slice of banana bread in the egg coconut milk mixture. Place in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Serve immediately with caramelized bananas.
For the caramelized bananas
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced bananas in an even layer and sprinkle the coconut sugar on top. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar has caramelized, coating the bananas. Serve immediately with banana bread french toast.
I am definitely a huge banana lover, so this was made for me! I’ve wanted to try a similar recipe to this, ever since I saw it on the Food Network, so I’m loving your version! Sounds SO good for a Monday morning!
Banana bread french toast???? How fun is this! I would have never thought to use banana bread this way!
Oh my word — weekend breakfast decadence! This looks SO good — I have such a weakness for alllllll the breakfast foods. This one would be no exception!
Banana bread has to be one of my favorite things in life, and you just took my fav and upped the yum ante by about a million!!! Banana bread french toast?! YESSS! WITH caramelized bananas?! Holy amazingness!!! Seriously, I am drooling hard core! NEED! Cheers, girlfriend!!
Thanks so much, Cheyanne!!
I’m in! I love that you used coconut milk and then carmelized the bananas. Nice recipe!
Oh girrrl you are speaking to me. Those bananas. Mmmm who wouldn’t go for caramelized bananas?!
How did you know that banana bread is my SOULMATE? I mean, this french toast is a banana bread-lover’s dream! Girl, I seriously just want to dive headfirst into that gorgeous stack of banana bread heaven!
I love gluten free banana bread but have never thought to make french toast out of it. Yum! My kids would go crazy for this one.
Just when I thought banana bread could not get any better, I came across this recipe! I never thought of using banana bread in french toast, but WOW I have been missing out!
This french toast is next level- and packed with so much banana flavor from the bread to those lovely caramelized bananas :)
Oh wow this looks soooo good! I love caramelized bananas and this is absolutely delicious!
Now this is what i’m talking about! Banana bread instead of lame bread for french toast – yes please!
Oh dear… those bananas! With the coconut milk, oh my! Glorious, Rachel! I need to make some banana bread, postehaste!
Yes, you do! Thanks, Traci :)
shhhh shhhhh-you had me at “caramelized” :P
YAY for being french toast twins this week – great minds think alike, right?! Wish I had a serving of your banana bread version though – I had it a while ago at a cafe with roast pear and salted caramel and OMG it was good. Love that you used coconut milk to soak yours for extra tropical feel <3
Yay for ALL the french toast – definitely great minds! :) Thanks so much girl. The roasted pear and salted caramel topping sounds like pure heaven….!!!
Just looking at it makes me want to get up and make it now! Loving the caramelized bananas and everything!
Would I be able to use the Silk Unsweetened Original Coconut milk in the carton for this?
Hi Mel, that should be fine! Enjoy :)