These Double Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies are soft, fudgy, and incredibly chocolatey! These irresistible cookies are loaded with melty dark chocolate chunks and crunchy hazelnuts, and you’d never guess they’re gluten-free, paleo, and vegan. This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill.
I think it’s safe to say I’ve eaten at least 10 of these cookies in the past few days…these Double Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies are so dang good, I just couldn’t STOP myself.
The second batch of them that I tested were cookie perfection – perfectly soft and gooey, with melty chocolate, crunchy hazelnuts, and a rich, deep chocolate flavor. I ate one fresh from the oven and was the happiest little clam ever.
Then, I left them out alllll day long, and forgot to cover them or put them away before I went to bed. The next morning I took a little piece and expected it to be a little dry and not as good. NOPE – they were still just as soft and tender and delicious as when they came out of the oven.
I packed them up in a bag and brought them to my dads, where they slowly got devoured over the course of the weekend, just as moist and decadent as when they came out of the oven. Pretty much magic, right?
On Saturday, I convinced my dad to drive an hour and fifteen minutes out of San Diego to go on a hike in Julian. I brought Hank and we traversed the most beautiful green hills and mountains for 9-miles, even meeting some cows along the way.
Needless to say, when we got home, I wanted a Double Chocolate Hazelnut Cookie bad. I had just hiked for 9-miles, so I let myself have two 😉 and five days after they initially got baked, they were still heavenly. That was the end of them, so, unfortunately, I have no day-six report, but I think they’d still be delicious.
I’d be pretty dang surprised if you had any left after six days though – they’re too irresistible for that! They’re almost brownie-like in how chocolatey and fudgy they are, and because they use hazelnut flour in addition to the almond flour, they have a sweet, nutty hazelnut flavor.
My hazelnut flour (and almond flour) is from Bob’s Red Mill, who you guys all know makes all my favorite flours. They’re always high quality and if Bob’s makes it, it’s probably my go-to.
The mix of gooey, melty dark chocolate chunks and crunchy hazelnuts is the most satisfying mix of textures, especially with how soft and fudgy the cookie is. If you’re a chocoholic, these are a MUST try! Enjoy :)
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Double Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- ½ cup coconut oil solid at room temperature, similar to softened butter
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature) OR 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal whisked with 2½ tablespoons water, let stand for 5 minutes to gel before using <— I used a flax egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup (72g) Bob's Red Mill blanched almond flour
- ¾ cup (84g) Bob's Red Mill hazelnut flour
- ½ cup (3 oz, 85g) dark chocolate chopped
- ½ cup toasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
- Flaky sea salt, to sprinkle on top optional
- Beat together the coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the egg or flax egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder, almond flour, hazelnut flour, salt, and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chopped chocolate and hazelnuts.
- Use a cookie scoop to form cookies and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet; press down slightly. Place in the refrigerator for an hour if you want thicker cookies (I did this), otherwise, you can bake right away.
- When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Before baking, sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for 10 minutes or just set.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
If you don't have hazelnut flour, you can use all almond flour instead.
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Bakerita!