These Chewy Ginger Orange Cookies are a classic soft and chewy ginger cookie with a hint of orange zest. These flavorful cookies stay soft for up to a week!
I don’t know about you all, but I’m up to my ears in cookies of all sorts, candies, and fun holiday treats. My neighbors have been getting frequent packages full of assorted holiday goods on their doorsteps at an alarming frequency, and my candy thermometer has been getting used more than it had been all year.
Thankfully, I’m also starting to do some prep for January…which means some healthier recipes that will hopefully help balance out all the cookies and homemade marshmallows I’ve been eating. But for now…we’re still on delicious, sweet, and totally giftable chewy ginger orange cookies! I have so many recipes I want to share this time of year – it’s like the baking Superbowl :)
I can’t believe I’ve never post a recipe for ginger cookies before on this site. The closest I’ve come are these Cookie Butter Stuffed Soft Ginger Cookies, but those are a bit more decadent then the more simple ginger cookie I have for you today. Now – that is not to say those cookies are not absolutely amazing, just different.
I don’t use ginger nearly enough, but I’m finally starting to figure out how to use the bold, spicy flavor in baked goods in a way that isn’t overpowering. When used correctly and in the right proportions, ginger adds such an amazing flavor to baked goods. These cookies use ginger in two ways: powdered ginger and chopped up crystallized ginger. The crystallized ginger adds an extra layer of ginger flavor and the little bits add some chew to the cookies.
I also added orange zest…and guys – if you’ve never paired ginger + orange, you are MISSING OUT. The bold citrusy flavor adds so much brightness to the warmly spiced dough, and gives these cookies that extra oomph that makes them exceptional. I rolled the cookies in a mix of granulated sugar and Turbinado sugar to give a little extra sugary crunch.
These cookies also stay good for a ridiculously long time. In fact, it seemed like they got even softer the longer they sat in an airtight container – after a week, they were still great. <— that makes them absolutely perfect if you’re planning on sending out cookie packages to any lucky loved ones this holiday season. A bunch of these cookies in a box, sealed with a bow will gives anyone a big smile.
Make a big batch of these this holiday season to share with your friends, or just keep them for you and your family to enjoy. Be sure to seal them tight, and they’ll stay good for at least a week! You won’t be able to resist these soft and chewy ginger orange cookies. Enjoy :)
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Chewy Ginger Orange Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Additional sugar to roll dough in
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla extract, molasses, and orange zest. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the molasses mixture, stir together until completely combined, take care not to over mix. Place dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before forming balls to make it easier to work with.
- Roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an parchment-lined cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.