These Chewy Ginger Orange Cookies are a classic soft and chewy ginger cookie with a hint of orange zest. These flavorful cookies stay soft for up to a week!
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Additional sugar, to roll dough in
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla extract, molasses, and orange zest. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the molasses mixture, stir together until completely combined, take care not to over mix. Place dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before forming balls to make it easier to work with.
- Roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an parchment-lined cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.