This Black & Blue Pie is a flaky pie crust filled with blueberries and blackberries. It’s the perfect dessert that is super easy and perfect for the summer!
I’m officially a high school graduate! As of June 17th, 2011 at about 5:10 P.M., I’m done with high school.
It’s super weird, but I’m sooo excited to finally move on to something new. San Diego was an amazing place to grow up and I was always really fortunate to be able to attend some of the countries top public schools, but I’m ready for a change. So Seattle, here I come!
Before that though, I have an entire summer of fun, traveling, and of course, baking and eating! My house was filled with family this weekend who came in for my graduation and Father’s Day, so for our Father’s Day brunch I made a ridiculously delicious pie full of fresh blackberries and blueberries.
It’s the perfect balance of sweet and tart and a heavenly way to use up your abundant fresh berries! You could also do all blackberries (which I’ve done and is incredible as well) or all blueberries (which I haven’t tried, but I’m sure would be equally fabulous!). Whip this up at some point this summer, it’s so easy you have no excuse not to!Print
- 3 cups blackberries, rinsed
- 3 cups blueberries, rinsed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Prepared or homemade double-crust pie crust
- 1 egg (separated)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425*F. Stir together berries and 1/2 cup sugar. Let macerate for 15 minutes on the counter. After 15 minutes have elapsed, stir in the flour.
- Place 1/2 pie crust in the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan. Using a pastry brush, brush egg white onto the bottom of the pie crust. Fill with berry mixtures. Cover with other pie crust or create a lattice crust.
- Whisk together the remaining egg white with the yolk. Brush onto the top of the pie. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of white sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and then reduce temperature to 375 and bake for another 30-40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Category: pie
- Cuisine: dessert
Keywords: pie, homemade, dessert, berries, blueberries, blackberries, fruit