These Soft Gingerbread Cookies will be a holiday staple! They’re incredibly soft, chewy and flavorful from the molasses and warm spices. These gluten-free, paleo, and vegan cookies are sure to be a hit!
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil (solid and slightly softened, similar to softened butter)
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup molasses
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax meal + 5 tablespoons water – whisk them together and let sit for 5 minutes to gel – see notes for info about using real eggs)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt (skip if you’re using salted almond butter)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup coconut flour
To roll the dough in
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl or stand mixer, beat together the coconut oil, almond butter, molasses, and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the flax eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and coconut flour to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the coconut sugar, cinnamon, and ground ginger to roll the dough in.
- Use a small or medium sized cookie scoop to form cookies and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place 2” apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press down slightly to flatten – note that the cookies won’t spread very much, so press them down to the thickness you prefer.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until the cookies have puffed and are cooked through. You can bake for an extra minute or two for crispier edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet and then move to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
If you don’t want/need to use flax eggs, replace the two flax eggs with 1 egg + 1 egg yolk.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American