These Chocolate Chunk Gingerbread Blondies are chewy, chocolatey, and full of warm gingerbread spices. You can get the batter ready for these easy, gluten-free, paleo, and vegan blondies in about 10 minutes. They’re perfect for the holidays, or any time of year when you’re craving a gingerbread treat.
I did a poll on my Instagram stories the other night, pitting GINGERBREAD and MINTY GOODNESS in the battle for the best holiday flavor. Which would win, warm spices and molasses, or the world of cool mint chip and peppermint bark?
Surprisingly to me, gingerbread blew mint out of the water. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 64% for gingerbread and 36% for mint. A pretty big blow to mint, if you ask me. I hope these Chocolate Peppermint Cups aren’t offended.
I then did a follow up question: chocolate with your gingerbread, or nah? Results were in favor of YES (unsurprisingly), but there were a fair number of NO WAY’s too. For the purists, chocolate chunks can always be left out for a more *pure* gingerbread.
I started classic though, with one of my favorite treats: blondies! The recipe for these Chocolate Chunk Gingerbread Blondies actually came together pretty easily, and turned out exactly as I had hoped on the first try. They’re chewy, warmly and perfectly spiced, with the sweetness of molasses and chocolate creating an irresistible holiday treat.
They use cashew butter for richness and chewiness – I love the buttery flavor of cashew butter, but any other smooth nut butter of choice will work too. They’re sweetened with coconut sugar and also have molasses, for that classic gingerbread taste. I use blackstrap molasses or date molasses here to keep them paleo.
Of course, it’s not gingerbread without warm winter spices, including a hearty dose of it’s namesake, ginger! This recipe uses 2 teaspoons of ground ginger, which makes for a mildly spicy bite. If you want some extra kick, you could add candied ginger or even some fresh ginger. Cinnamon and nutmeg are added to complement the ginger.
Dark chocolate chunks are folded into the batter, which creates pockets of melty dark chocolate in the finished goodies. I’m a huge fan of chocolate + gingerbread, but skip the chocolate if that’s not you. Either way, these are sure to be a holiday favorite! Enjoy :)
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Chocolate Chunk Gingerbread Blondies
- ½ cup (128g) creamy cashew butter or other smooth nut butter of choice
- ¼ cup (50g) coconut oil melted, use refined for no coconut flavor
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons (64g) molasses I use blackstrap molasses or date molasses to keep paleo
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon flax meal + 2 tablespoons water, whisk to combine & let set for 5 minutes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (72g) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons (16g) coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 oz. dark chocolate chunks I like Santa Barbara Chocolate - use code BAKERITA for $10 off
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8” square baking pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cashew butter, coconut oil, coconut sugar, molasses, flax egg, and vanilla extract until smooth and combined. Stir in the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely, and then cut into 16 squares. Store in an airtight container.