Red Velvet Oreo Cookies with Cream Cheese Filling
These Red Velvet Oreo Cookies with Cream Cheese Filling are from-scratch red velvet cookies with Red Velvet Oreos and mini chocolate chips folded in. The center has a luscious sweet cream cheese filling. These are some decadent cookies!
Not to make you jealous, but as you’re reading this…I’m in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, soaking up the sun beachside. I’m writing this the Friday before you’re reading it (well, maybe not. It’s March 13th if you were curious), because tomorrow morning at 11:00am I’m jetting off with 7 of my friends to Cabo for our senior year spring break.
Time was running out for us to have a real crazy college spring break, so we booked our flights a few months back and have been counting down the days ever since!
Needless to say, not everyone was thrilled about my baked goods always being around these past couple of weeks as we tried to get bikini bod ready. However…that is not to say they were not enjoyed.
These Red Velvet Oreo Cookies with Cream Cheese Filling…yup, they were definitely enjoyed. I had the Red Velvet Oreos sitting in my cupboard for almost three weeks before I finally decided what to do with them. Red Velvet Oreo Ice Cream and a Red Velvet Oreo Cake were both ideas on the table, but one day I was sitting in class, brainstorming (as one does), and I got the idea for these cookies.
I came home and rewrote my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe to make them red-velvet-y. They were being whipped up in my stand mixer later that day, with my fingers crossed that they turned out. By night time, they were getting devoured.
The cookie recipe is made just like any chocolate chip cookie recipe, but with some extra ingredients to turn these cookies into red velvet magic. A little bit of vinegar adds some acidity, the cocoa powder gives that signature red velvet flavor, and the red food coloring adds that gorgeous colors! When you’re mixing the dough up, before the dry ingredients are added, it will be pink. Do not worry. It will turn red when you add the cocoa powder!
Now that you have your gorgeous red dough, fold in the chopped Red Velvet Oreos. OMG, you guys – they are worth tracking down! They are seriously delicious, and I’m not even a big fan Oreos on their own. The cream cheese frosting filling is on point. You’re also going to add some mini chocolate chips here, because every cookie recipe needs a little gooey chocolate.
After the dough is ready, whip together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla for your cream cheese filling and get to stuffing those cookies! You can do it the way I do it, by pressing dough into a medium cookie scoop, adding some filling, and then topping with more dough (pictured in this post). Or, you can press the dough flat into a disk, add a dollop of the filling, and then wrap it up. Either way – it’ll be delicious!
The resulting cookie is chewy, slightly chocolatey, tangy from the cream cheese filling, and just about everything you would want in a red velvet cookie. These taste like red velvet cake in cookie form! Stuffed cookies are quickly becoming a favorite around here, and for good reason.
I have to finish packing, so I leave you with cookies – enjoy!
- 2 sticks (8 oz. unsalted butter, softened)
- 1 1/2 cups 10.5 oz. white sugar
- 1/2 cup 3.5 oz brown sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups 13.5 oz all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups Red Velvet Oreos (crushed (about 15 Oreos))
For the cream cheese filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue mixing while adding the eggs one at time. Make sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring. My dough was hot pink at this point – don’t worry, it will turn red when you add the cocoa powder with the flour. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl. With a whisk, stir to combine. With the machine on low, slowly add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. Fold in the chocolate and crushed Oreos.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until fully combined and smooth.
- Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and fill each cookie dough ball with about 1 teaspoon of cream cheese filling. You can do this by flattening the dough and pressing it around the filling, or using a cookie scoop, make an indentation in the middle of the dough, place the filling in the indentation, and then cover with more cookie dough.*
- Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes.
*For photos of this step, check out the step-by-step photos in this post.