Raspberry Mint Brownies
These Raspberry Mint Brownies use tangy raspberries and fresh mint for an addictively fresh and minty taste in these rich and fudgy chocolate brownies.
I started a garden! A very small herb garden consisting of three plants on my patio, but a garden nonetheless. Right now, we have rosemary, basil, and mint, but once I prove that I can keep these alive we’ll definitely be adding some more plants to the mix.
So far, so good – though the basil has gotten pretty wilted a couple of times there, thanks to the recent blazing Seattle sunshine. Thankfully it revives easily. What other herbs are easy to take care of?!
I must say though – there’s something totally gratifying about being able to walk outside and pluck a few basil leaves off to finish dinner with some fresh herbs. Also, it’s making me feel like a real adult to have something to take care of everyday.
But these raspberry mint brownies…these are the best thing that have come so far with thanks to my new little herb garden. Our mint plant has been doing surprisingly well considering the wilting heat it’s been receiving every day, and it deserved a special place in a rich chocolate dessert.
Fudgy brownies were the perfect vessel. They’re deep, dark, and rich, and the mint helps brighten them up a little bit. The mint flavor is subtle, but noticeable. To make sure the mint flavor comes out, I rubbed the chopped mint leaves with the sugar before starting the batter. This helps release the flavor of the mint and makes a sort of flavored sugar. I also used a tiny bit of peppermint extract, but that’s totally optional. I just wanted to make sure it was pepperminty enough – this stuff is strong, so add in small amounts!
The raspberries in the brownies are the perfect amount of tart and sweet to help cut through the rich chocolate. The raspberry and mint together are the perfect complements to the chocolate. It all just melds together so nicely.
I can never get enough of a good brownie, and these were definitely a recent, perfect summer favorite. Feels even better to have it made out of something I kept alive…and I picked those raspberries! These brownies are from the fruits of my labor, and they were so darn good. Enjoy!Print
Raspberry Mint Brownies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 16 brownies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 6 oz. dark chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- ½ cup (4 oz.) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (5¼ oz.) granulated sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh mint (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup (2 oz.) light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup (2¾ oz.) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line with parchment and lightly grease an 8×8” baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and cocoa powder together. In a separate bowl, rub the mint leaves into the sugar with your fingers for about 30 seconds, it should be very fragrant.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a large glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, and repeat until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. Add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined. The mixture should be room temperature.
- Add 2 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla and stir. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible. Fold in the chocolate chips and raspberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Cool brownies completely before cutting into 16 equal squares with a very sharp knife.
- Brownies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Oh, man. Look at that FUDGE! It’s just the first word that pops into my head when I look at these brownies. I am seriously freaking out over how thick and ultra-fudgy they look, Rachel! So stunning with all that raspberry/mint goodness! Pinned. :)
Home-grown herbs are just the best, right?? This looks like the perfect use for fresh mint! Love the use of raspberries too :)
Gahhhh so fudgy, Rache! I’m obsessed.
Fantastic recipe, I love the flavor combos and how perfectly fudgy these brownies are! I’m trying to keep mint alive right now (which everyone says is impossible to kill) and I’m struggling, so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong! Kudos to you for your herb garden! :)
Oh Rachel, you are killing me with this fudginess!
Rachel all that sugar, why?
Having fresh herbs is the best! I find that parsley is pretty easy to grow too! And these brownies sound delicious – love that you paired raspberry and mint!
Oooh I do love parsley! I’ll have to look into getting that as soon as the garden starts expanding. Thanks, Ashley!
You have so many FAB raspberry and chocolate recipes- love the addition of mint in this one! Such a unique twist on a classic fudgy brownie :) Pinning!
Our mint plant has been doing pretty well too! These look like a great way to use it and I love raspberries and brownies together. These look delicious, Rachel!
Love the addition of mint in these! So refreshing. They look so fudgy and rich, I could just dig into a big slice right now!
The texture of this brownie looks perfect! One day I’d like to have garden :)