These big Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Caramel Filled Cookies are soft and chewy peanut butter oatmeal cookies studded with chocolate chips, surrounding a chocolate covered caramel!
This cookie combines three of my favorite and most used ingredients: peanut butter, chocolate, and caramel. Let’s be honest: anything with those three ingredients makes me pretty darn happy.
And since I’ve spent the past few weeks trying to figure out all of the things that make me happy and how I can incorporate them into my new everyday life, food seemed like a good place to start. Not that food ever makes me unhappy (is that possible?).
As confessed many times over the almost five year of having this blog (crazy right?!?!) I’m a totally self-proclaimed peanut butter addict. Peanut butter desserts are some of the few desserts I lose self control around, but that definitely doesn’t stop me from having a very extensive collection of peanut butter recipes here on Bakerita.
Many of those recipes also include chocolate. What can I say – they’re a darn good pairing, and I’m not one to mess too much with perfection. If you’re not a chocolate peanut butter fan, get outta here. Just kidding! But this probably isn’t the recipe for you.
This particular peanut butter cookie is one of my favorites. Despite my love of peanut butter, straight up peanut butter cookies don’t usually do it for me. This one though, with oatmeal for texture and mini chocolate chips for delicious chocolatey-ness is perfect for me. It’s soft and chewy in the middle with crispy edges.
And because I was feeling ultra decadent, these got a hit of caramel too! Hershey’s sent me a couple bags of their new chocolate covered caramels to try, and I lovingly wrapped them in cookie dough because…why not? The resulting gooey caramel center of these cookies takes them to the next level and gives a little surprise treat when you bite into one of these big peanut butter cookies!
These are no-kidding-around-cookies. These will satisfy any dessert craving you have and make anyone you share them with pretty darn happy. Exert the little bit of patience needed to let the dough chill (otherwise you’ll have sticky dough all over your hands) and you’ll be generously rewarded for your efforts. Enjoy!!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Caramel Filled Cookies
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 14 chocolate covered caramels I used Hershey’s caramels
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in peanut butter and vanilla extract. Beat in the egg until well blended.
- Combine the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add into the peanut butter mixture and beat until just combined.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips. Chill cookie dough, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 1 week.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a large cookie scoop, take about 2 tablespoons of dough. Press the dough flat and put a caramel in the center. Wrap the dough around the candy. Arrange about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies in batches in middle of oven for 13 minutes, or until just pale golden. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes and transfer to racks to cool completely.
Disclaimer: this post was NOT sponsored by Hershey’s, though they did send me their new chocolate covered caramels to try. All opinions are my own.