Frozen Lemon Cream Tart with Browned Butter Crust
This simple Frozen Lemon Cream Tart with Browned Butter Crust is rich in texture and flavor, and super refreshing on a hot day! You’ll love this easy recipe.
This crust is seriously one of my favorite things, probably ever. It ranks right up there with peanut butter (as mentioned in my last post) and taking long walks in nice parks and listening to podcasts. If you like browned butter, (and let’s be honest, if you’ve had it, you probably love it) you’ll seriously enjoy this.
This crust is flaky and buttery, with that rich deep flavor that comes from browning the butter slowly. It has a shortbread-like texture that has just the right amount of bite and crumbles into deliciousness as soon as you take a bite. It’s melt-in-your-mouth good.
It has super simple ingredients too: browned butter, sugar, vanilla, sea salt, and flour. The flavor is coming from that browned butter, so you have to make sure it’s nice and browned (not burnt! watch that fine line). After the ingredients are stirred together and pressed into the pan, you have to do the hardest part: wait.
The flavors in the crust need a little while to meld, so give yourself an hour of various other activities while you wait for the shortbread crust to get all nice and brown-buttery. Or, you can do it at night and resume in the morning if you’re not into the waiting game. But I urge you to not skip that step, it makes a difference.
The filling is so simple it’s ridiculous. Two ingredients: whipped cream and lemon curd. Whip the cream, fold it into the lemon curd to make it nice and fluffy, and voila. You have a rich, lemony, flavorful filling that took less than 5 minutes to make. Pour it into that crust…and sorry, a few more hours of waiting for it all to come together, and devour.
If you don’t want it frozen, this tart would be great refrigerated too, but the filling with be a little less thick and ice cream-like. It turns super cold and refreshing and almost like a creamy lemon sorbet after hanging out in the freezer, and it’s too perfect on these hot summer days. Best of all? It keeps for a while in the freezer, so you can make it for yourself without having to share before it goes bad :D enjoy!
Lemon Cream Tart with Browned Butter Crust
- Yield: 1 9" tart 1x
- Category: Dessert
For the crust
- 1½ sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- ½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
For the filling
- ¾ cup lemon curd
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
For the crust
- Lightly grease a 9-inch round fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and continue to cook until it caramelizes and emits a nutty, butterscotch aroma. You will notice brown flecks in the bottom of the pan as the butter deepens in color. This should take about 3-6 minutes. Be careful not to burn the butter. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter with the brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Add the flour and mix until incorporated. Spread the dough evenly and up the sides of the prepared pan. Let stand for at least 1 hours or up to overnight (do not refrigerate).
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Bake the shortbread for 45 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Let cool completely.
For the filling
- Place the lemon curd in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Place your metal bowl and whisk attachment or beaters in the freezer for about ten minutes to chill. Remove from the freezer. When chilled, add the heavy cream. In the stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the cream on low speed for about 30 seconds.
- Increase the speed to high and whip until soft peaks form, 2-3 minutes. Add half of the whipped cream to the bowl with the lemon curd and fold in gently. Once combined, add in the rest of the whipped cream and fold it in. Pour the creamy lemon mixture into the cooled crust and spread evenly.
- Freeze for at least two hours before serving. Keep stored in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.
Recipe adapted from my Berry Tart with Browned Butter Shortbread Crust
That crust does look amazing! Especially with brown sugar–I’m sure that adds a lovely flavor :)
This tart is GORGEOUS, Rachel!
Just saw this on Instagram and had to come on over to check the recipe out. Oh. My! This looks divine and soooo easy. Lovely. That cake stand is absolutely stunning too :)
Thanks for coming over, Jo!! The cake stand is from World Market :)
This is such a gorgeous tart! I love lemon flavors in the summer. It’s such a bright flavor.
This is such an amazing tart! I love the browned butter in the crust and anything with lemon is always a winner in my book. Pinned :)
What a truly scrumptious dessert! That brown butter crust looks and sounds incredible! Wow!
YUM, I can only imagine how incredible this flavor combination is. I love that you used browned butter in the crust… brilliant!
This is so stunning and I love the rich brown butter with the tart lemon cream! Pinning!
Ok I am totally drooling over this tart. The brown butter crust is such a great idea and the frozen filling is perfect for this hot summer weather. Pinned!
Rachel, this tart sounds so freaking good! I really love the simple filling, and I’m totally into that huge layer of crust! Browned butter sounds like the perfect addition to this. I need to make it asap! :)
Oooo I love lemon! This is the perfect summer dessert!
This. Is. Genius! So few ingredients! I have to share this majorly – and make it myself asap!
Ooooh I love the idea of the browned butter crust. Sounds amazing! There is nothing quite like the flavor of browned butter. <3 The lemon filling sounds so yummy too– such a great summer dessert!
Umm, I’m swooning! Putting this on my summer dessert list!