What makes these almond butter thumbprint cookies healthy?
- vegan and gluten-free
- refined sugar-free
- 6 simple ingredients
- chewy & soft texture
- 100% delicious!!
What ingredients do I need?
Superfine Almond Flour: Make sure you’re using almond flour and not almond meal otherwise this will alter the texture of your cookies.
Cocoa Powder: You’ll use cocoa powder to add a rich chocolate flavor to the cookies.
Melted Coconut Oil: Make sure it’s melted first, then measure! This helps bind your cookie dough.
Maple Syrup: All you’ll need is 2 TBSP of maple syrup for the entire recipe! The maple pairs lovely with the almond and chocolate flavors too.
Salt: a touch of salt to balance the flavors.
Vegan Chocolate Chunks: This part is optional but I love adding a little melted chocolate on top of the cookies! This adds a little extra richness that tastes incredible with the melty almond butter filling.
How to make chocolate almond butter thumbprint cookies
Chill the dough: Shape the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. You could also prep this the night before and store up to 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Bake: Roll the dough into 12 balls and place on the cookie sheet. Leave an imprint into each ball with your thumb. Leave unfilled and bake for 11 minutes until they firm up.
Fill the cookies: Fill each cookie with the almond butter immediately! Allow the cookies to cool completely then drizzle with optional melted chocolate…but why wouldn’t you add the chocolate you know?!
Tips for adding the almond butter filling
What if I don’t have almond butter?
More cookie recipes you’ll love
- Flourless Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF + Vegan)
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies (GF + Vegan)
- Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies (Paleo + Vegan)
- Jam Thumbprint Cookies (Paleo + Vegan)
Healthy chocolate almond butter thumbprint cookies perfect for the holidays or whenever a cookie craving strikes! Just 6 ingredients for the whole recipe and they’re vegan, paleo, gluten-free and refined-sugar-free!
- In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients except for the nut butter and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form 12 balls from the dough. Make an imprint in the center of each cookie with your thumb and leave the cookies unfilled.
- Bake for 11 minutes until firm around the edges. Immediately fill each imprint with almond butter and drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cookies, thumbprint cookies, almond butter, chocolate, paleo, vegan, gluten free