This Oatmeal M&M Peanut Butter Skillet Cookie is a quick and easy recipe made in one bowl that’s perfect for sharing! It has a layer of peanut butter in the middle and lots of crispy edges. Top it with ice cream for a homemade version of the pizookie!
It’s almost the Oscars! How many of the movies have you guys seen? I have seen exactly zero of the movies up for Best Picture, and I think Gone Girl (which was sooo good!) is the only thing I’ve seen from the other nominated movies.
Clearly…I’m not much of a movie watcher. I get way too distracted to sit and watch a movie for as long as it takes, so I’m more of a TV show and YouTube kind of girl, but I do love watching awards shows! It’s so fun to curl up on the couch and watch the red carpet, admire and judge all the different outfits, and see what inevitable dramatic thing happens. What’s your favorite thing about the Oscars? I have some friends who make it a personal mission to see all of the Best Picture nominees before the show so they can make their best predictions.
And of course, as your watching, you need something to snack on! What better to share with friends than a skillet cookie, especially one studded with peanut M&Ms and filled with peanut butter?!
Ever since I’ve discovered the homemade pizookie with my Salted Caramel Filled Dark Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie and the magical deliciousness that was that dish, I’ve been wanting to make another one. Re: Oatmeal M&M Peanut Butter Skillet Cookie is here.
This is a peanut butter version, because if you’ve been around here at all, you know I like peanut butter a little too much. But! I know those of you who aren’t big fans are out there, and this recipe could actually be made totally without the peanut butter. Leave it out of the dough and don’t put a filling and you’ll be peanut butter free.
But….why would you want that? This cookie dough is made with a wooden spoon in a small mixing bowl, because this is too small of a cookie to have to use your mixer for. It’s got lots of brown sugar, oats, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and peanut M&Ms.
The cookie gets crispy around the edges and stays so soft and doughy on the inside. The layer of peanut butter that gets sealed into the middle of the cookie forms a thin peanut buttery layer that makes the peanut butter addict in me so happy. The peanut M&Ms and chocolate chips just melt into the cookie, and the smell of the chocolate and brown sugar will make you drool!
Add a little ice cream on top, and you’ve got yourself an award winning dessert. Of course, you can also snack on the extra M&Ms while you enjoy the show ;) Enjoy!
- 1/3 cup 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (divided)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup M&Ms (I used peanut)
- Grease a 6-inch or 8-inch cast iron skillet with butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/4 cup peanut butter and vanilla extract. Whisk in the egg until well blended.
- Stir in the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold in chocolate chips and M&Ms. Chill cookie dough, covered, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Press about ⅓ of the dough into the bottom of prepared skillet (the entire bottom and sides of the skillet should be covered with dough). Fill with 1/2 cup peanut butter. Top with more dough until the top is completely covered and the peanut butter is sealed inside. Garnish with extra chocolate chips and M&Ms if desired. Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 3 days.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve immediately with ice cream.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by M&M’S in conjunction with Blog Meets Brand. I received a free sample of the product and was compensated for my time. All opinions are my own.