This recipe for homemade paleo Twix Bars is a game changer! When you take a bite, you won’t believe that this candy bar copycat is gluten-free, refined sugar-free, Paleo, and vegan.
For the shortbread crust
- ⅔ cup (85g) coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons (63g) pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup (66g) coconut oil, solid, use refined for no coconut flavor
For the caramel filling
- ½ cup (128g) creamy almond butter, I also love making these with cashew butter, or use sunflower seed butter or tahini for a nut-free option
- ⅓ cup (111g) pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup (66g) coconut oil, melted, use refined for no coconut flavor
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the chocolate topping
- ¼ cup (50g) coconut oil, melted, use refined for no coconut flavor
- ¼ cup (21g) cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons (42g) pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon flaky sea salt, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 14×5” tart pan or 8×8” square pan with coconut oil (I recommend lining the pan with parchment paper as well if your pan doesn’t have a removable bottom).
- Put coconut flour in a bowl. Add the maple syrup and stir until fully combined and crumbly. Add the room temperature coconut oil and mix until a large dough ball forms, pressing out any clumps of coconut oil. I used my hands at the end to bring the dough fully together.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Let cool completely.
- For the filling, combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until all of the ingredients are melted and throughly combined. Pour over the crust and let cool in the refrigerator until set before topping with chocolate layer.
- For the chocolate topping, whisk together all of the ingredients and pour over the cooled caramel layer. Smooth evenly and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Let cool until set. Slice into 1-inch slices, or 16 squares. Keep stored in the refrigerator.
Caramel recipe adapted from Blissful Basil
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: twix bars, vegan twix, vegan caramel, gluten free twix, paleo twix