These flourless Chocolate Brownie Cookies are incredibly fudgy and super chocolatey – they’re like a brownie in cookie form! These cookies are naturally gluten-free.
March 2016 Update: This recipe is old favorite that was originally posted on December 31st, 2013. I updated the photos in March 2016 to show off just how beautiful and fudgy these cookies are. For memories’ sake, the text and recipe is left the same as when it was originally posted back in the day…so I’ve already (unfortunately) finished my time studying abroad. Enjoy!
It’s the final day of the year, and I’m waking up in London! It’s the first days of my semester abroad, living in a new city. I arrived yesterday with my best friend Paige around 2pm. We took a taxi to the hotel, and set off to explore a little bit. We got our new British phones and some toiletries, albeit only after a long while wandering around Oxford Circus and going in way too many phone stores, ate dinner, and proceeded to pass out for 15 hours. Guess we needed a little bit of sleep!We’re still drowsy/jet-lagged, but also so ready for an amazing New Years Eve in London! This is going to be a short post, 1) because our Internet is almost expired, and 2) we really need to get out of bed and go run some more errands in our new city.
But these cookies though, I couldn’t not share them with you guys. These cookies are rich, decadent, and sooooo chocolatey. These are a cookie that you would have no idea are gluten-free, and honestly, flour in these would just tone down the chocolatey-ness which simply would not do.
These are brownie cookies to the core with their deliciously rich fudge center, and I know they’re a recipe I’ll be making again and again. It’s also incredibly nice that they come together so easily! You could use a mixer if you wanted, but why both with the extra dishes? I used a wooden spoon and a bowl and they came together perfectly – just make sure to mix together your butter and sugar fully before moving on with the recipe.
I also like using chocolate chunks in these cookies. The big chunks get super melty and stay melty in the middle of these cookies, resulting in some seriously bold chocolate flavor that will satisfy even the biggest of chocoholics. Also…definitely don’t over-bake these guys! If anything, err on the side of under-baking. You want these to be ooey-gooey.
The final touch to make these outstanding? A sprinkle of flaky sea salt! The salt is the perfect complement to help balance out the slight sweetness and bittersweet chocolate. It takes these already-bomb cookies to the next level. Enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Flaky sea salt optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Thoroughly mix together the butter and sugars until completely combined. Add the egg and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Add in the baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder and mix until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chunks. Use a cookie scoop to shape cookie dough balls. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired.
- If you want thick cookies, place dough in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking. You can also place the cookie dough in the fridge for up to 3 days before baking.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until set around the edges but still gooey in the center. Let cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Yammie's Gluten Freedom