Gooey Chocolate Toffee Blondies
These chewy brown sugar Gooey Chocolate Toffee Blondies are full of toffee bits and chocolate chunks, topped with caramelized sweetened condensed milk.
The title of these bars is in no way adequate for the amazingness that they are – I couldn’t convey that in a title that was short and sweet, and the word “gooey” got that message across in the best way. But they’re more than gooey. So much more.
These are rich, caramelly bars that are chock full of toffee bits and chocolate chunks and then to top it all off – literally – I poured an ENTIRE CAN of sweetened condensed milk on top, just to see what would happen.
Wanna guess what happened?
If you guessed magic, you guessed right. The sweetened condensed milk caramelized, turning almost into my so-loved dulce de leche, but still maintaining a little gooey, drippy milky goodness. The milk layer on top adds an extra dimension of sweetness and richness that I’ve truly never really found in another dessert I’ve made.
I might start pouring sweetened condensed milk on everything I make, cause so far it’s never been a bad addition.
Mmm, that stuff is pure heaven.
I know these bars sort of look like brownies (and not the prettiest brownies at that), but that is simply due to the lovely dark color created by the dark brown sugar and the massive chocolate chunks. These are chewy, toffee blondies of the best sort.
Seriously. You gotta try these. Thank me later.Print
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup toffee bits (I used Heath)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 9-by-13-inch pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla, and whisk to combine. Add the flour, salt, and stir until just combined, taking care not to over-mix. Fold in the toffee bits and chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing it lightly with a spatula or offset knife.
- Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 18 to 23 minutes. The edges will be browned and slightly pulling away from sides of pan. The sweetened condensed milk should be bubbling and turning light brown. Allow bars to cool for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving into 16 squares. I like to refrigerate them before cutting to make them easier to cut. Bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.