Chocolate Rolo Bars
These Chocolate Rolo Bars have a layer of sweetened condensed milk in the middle, making them ultra fudgy and gooey! This easy recipe will satisfy any sweet tooth.
Ok, I’ve gone from being peanut butter crazy to bar crazy! They’re just too easy and way too delicious. I’ve been whipping them up so often, and they’ve been turning out so amazingly I can’t not share them with you all!!
Don’t worry though – I have some other amazing (not bar) recipes coming your way soon too!
In the meantime, make these Chocolate Rolo Bars.
If you saw my last post, you know that pouring sweetened condensed milk all over bars makes the ultimate chewy gooey bar. Well, turns out that if you crumble some of the dough on top of the sweetened condensed milk, the whole bar gets even gooier and you still get those amazing pockets of almost-dulce de leche.
These bars have a rich, dense, chocolate-y cookie bar base that pretty much tastes like a fudge brownie. Of course, simple gooeyness wasn’t enough for me, so I threw in a whole bunch of Rolos, just to up the chewy factor. It’s on a whole ‘nother level with these babies.
Of course, it only uses 1/2 a can of sweetened condensed milk (it’s all about the portion control, guys). So, you can A) stick the remainder in the fridge until you make these again in 2 days due to withdrawals (planning ahead!), B) make a half batch of these guys, or C) eat it with a spoon. All completely acceptable and encouraged.
Oh, and did I mention that these only use one bowl? Because let’s be real about doing dishes: who has time for that?!Print
Chocolate Rolo Bars
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted (1 stick))
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee (optional but highly recommended)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups 6 3/8 oz. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 1 oz. unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 bag (8 oz. Rolos Unwrapped Bites (or chopped Rolos))
- about 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (just about half of one standard 14-ounce can)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, about 1 minute. Allow the butter to cool for one minute. Add the egg, sugars, coffee (water may be substituted but coffee is recommended), vanilla, and stir or whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and stir until just incorporated.
- Reserve about 2/3 cup dough; set aside. Turn remaining dough out into prepared pan, smoothing it lightly with a spatula. Evenly sprinkle the Rolo bites over the dough. Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top (just eyeball slightly over half of the can as you pour slowly). Using your fingers, lightly crumble the reserved cookie dough over the top in irregular, marble-sized chunks.
- Bake for about 27 to 30 minutes, or until center is mostly set. The sweetened condensed milk should nearly be set in all places, but possibly a little loose in the very center of the pan is okay. Bars firm up more in pan as they cool; don’t overbake because you want these to stay soft and gooey.
- Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 3 hours before slicing and serving for the cleanest cut marks (use foil overhang to lift out). Extra bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks
Thanks for trying my recipe! I’m glad you liked it! Rolos, sweetened condensed milk and chocolate…can’t be bad, right :)
Holy moly! These look crazy good! A big glass of milk to wash all that chocolate-y goodness down will be perfect with these. Thanks for sharing.
I’ve actually never had rolos!
Another solution to 1/2 a can and 1/2 a bag might be to just double it and use a 13×9 pan. Save the trouble of making another batch in two days!
These sound awesome, almost want to run to the store now to get the Rolos.
Definitely another option!
I’ve never been the hugest fan of Rolos but I think you’ve developed a Rolo delivery mechanism that even I’ll participate in. These look so gooey and rich and decadent!
Oh wow, these look truly amazing! I love rolo’s so I think I’ll definitely have to try these sometime!
I love bar cookie too because they’re usually mad easy. These look so good. Carmel and chocolate…hard to go wrong. :)
Definitely true! These are so easy! Perfect for a fuss-free dessert.
Oh wow, does that ever look luscious! That fudgy texture is absolutely perfect, and add in caramel? I don’t know how anyone could resist!
Yum! You had me at “Rolo”! and only one bowl? perfect. . . . ;)
We’re doing a Gourmet Cookie giveaway over at http://www.wherethecookiesare.com – come on over and enter if you have a minute!
These look and sound super tasty! Love the combo of brownie/cookie bar/caramel – yum! :)
I love all dessert bars! they are just so fun! these would be eaten up in a second in our house!
My daughter’s boyfriend asked me if I could make him chocolate Christmas cookies with gooey caramel and marshmallows. So I’m going to try making these, then putting mini marshmallows on top as soon as they come out of the oven. I’m hoping they’ll melt just enough to hold onto the bars. Wish me luck!
Hi Diane – sounds great! I’d recommend putting the marshmallows on about 3-5 minutes before they’re done baking. That way, they’ll melt a little bit so they’ll stick to the bars better. Hope you like them!
your website is a nightmare. as delicious as this looks, I can’t make it because all your annoying pop ups keep reloading and breaking the site on my iPad.
also what is the purpose of the coffee, as a none coffee drinker, is it necessary?
it would be great if you could get your site working on an iPad as I don’t think I am the only person who uses it for reading recipes while cooking.