This Dark Chocolate, Coconut & Macadamia Nut Tart is decadent and delicious, and you’d never guess it was gluten free, vegan, Paleo, and refined sugar free!
Sometimes you’ll come across a recipe that so darn decadent, there’s absolutely no way that it can be healthy. And usually, you’re right. Most super decadent desserts are not only loaded with calories, but with fat, sugar, grains, and carbs.
Unfortunately, that eliminates many people from enjoying them, because so many people have food restrictions, like gluten free, paleo, egg free, and so many more. Thankfully, this recipe is gluten free, grain free, vegan, paleo, and refined sugar free.
Due to the nut based crust and chocolate filling, it isn’t low calorie or fat free, but I can guarantee it’s healthier and better for you than a majority of the sugar-filled chocolate tarts out there, and isn’t any less delicious!
This tart is sooo rich and a tiny slice definitely goes a long way. The thick chocolate filling is dark, deep, and decadent. The crust is nutty and coconutty, while staying crunchy yet tender. The macadamia nut and toasted coconut topping (thanks OhNuts! for the gorgeous macadamias!) adds the perfect bit of crunch and tropical-ness to the tart.
It’s easy, sweet, decadent, gorgeous, and impressive. And not loaded with all that bad-for-you stuff. What’s not to love?!
Dark Chocolate, Coconut & Macadamia Nut Tart
For the crust
- ½ cup 40g unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ½ cups 190g almond flour
- 2 tablespoons 30g coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons 30g maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
For the ganache
- 1 cup 240ml canned coconut milk
- 12 oz. 340g bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping
- 1/2 cup 40g unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup 68g roasted unsalted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- A pinch of sea salt
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse together almond flour, salt and shredded coconut until finely ground. Melt together coconut oil and maple syrup and add to almond flour and coconut mixture. Pulse until coarse crumbs form (dough should clump together when squeezed with fingers).
- Transfer dough to a greased 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using a measuring cup or your fingers, evenly press dough in bottom and up sides of pan.
- Bake in center of oven until golden and firm, about 12-16 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, at least 1 hour.
For the ganache:
- Place finely chopped chocolate in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, just bring coconut milk to a boil. Pour hot coconut milk over chocolate and let stand 1 minute, then stir until smooth and creamy. Stir in vanilla extract.
For the topping:
- Spread the chopped macadamia nuts and shredded coconut evenly over a sheet pan and bake until lightly golden (about 3-5 minutes). Set aside and let cool.
To assemble the tart:
- Pour warm chocolate mixture into cooled tart shell. Lightly sprinkle toasted macadamia nuts and toasted coconut across the top. Sprinkle with a pinch of flaky sea salt if desired. Chill for at least one hour or until set and serve.
Recipe adapted from Gourmande In The Kitchen