These Dark Chocolate Almond Lacey Cookies are easy, crunchy, & delicious! Dark chocolate slathered between two thin, crunchy cookies for a sweet treat.
One of my housemates, Ally, absolutely adores these Dark Chocolate Almond Laceys from Trader Joe’s. They’re thin, crunchy, taste-like-toffee cookies, sandwiched with rich dark chocolate, and they’re so so good! Of course, after a few weeks of watching her eat them, I decided I needed to recreate them.
The process for these cookies is different from most cookies, but still easy nonetheless. There’s no creaming butter and sugar together here. Instead, you’re making a sort-of caramel sauce to mix with a little bit of flour and super finely chopped up almonds. You get a sticky dough which you make into itty-bitty balls (seriously) that bake up into shatteringly thin, beautiful, toffee-like cookies. You sandwich two cookies together with some dark chocolate, and the result is a cookie that tastes delicious immediately, but gets even better after a night or two. The cookies soften and meld together, and the sweetness of the cookies balances so nicely with the dark chocolate.
If you don’t want to slather them in dark chocolate, they also taste great plain or with a drizzle of whatever kind of chocolate you want. Mmm!
So…we’re not just talking about delicious cookies today, we’re also talking about good causes!
I’ve partnered up with OXO to help bake a difference and raise awareness about childhood cancer, and we want you to help bake a difference too! Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is a non-profit organization started by OXO employees to research more effective treatments for pediatric cancer, which is the #1 disease killer of children in the U.S. I love that OXO uses their influence to help make a difference in such an important cause.
OXO makes some of my absolutely favorite kitchen tools EVER, and I use their products pretty much every time I bake (no lie). And if you buy specially marked OXO products, OXO will donate on your behalf to help support Cookies for Kids’ Cancer!
For every stickered item sold, OXO will donate 25 cents in support of pediatric cancer research as part of its $100,000 pledge to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. Look for specially marked OXO products at participating retailers in September. You can find those retailers here!
Be a good cookie, and make some delicious cookies with me! :D
Dark Chocolate Almond Lacey Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Pulse the almonds in a food processor until finely chopped. In a separate bowl stir together the nuts, flour, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the sugar, cream, corn syrup and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a rolling boil and sugar is dissolved. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, then pour into almond mixture and stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator to cool, about 30 minutes.
- Scoop rounded teaspoons (they should be itty bitty!) of batter and roll into balls. Place on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3 to 4 inches between each cookie since they spread.
- Bake 1 pan at a time, until the cookies are thin and an even golden brown color throughout, about 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave proof bowl for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until the chocolate is fully melted. Pair up cookies of equal size. Spread chocolate onto one cookie and press carefully together with another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookie pairs. Let cool, and store in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Food Network
This post was not sponsored by OXO. All opinions are my own, and I chose to participate in their campaign to help raise awareness for a great cause! I do want to thank them for the fun cookie tools they sent to me.