Chewy Gluten-Free Cranberry Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Meet your new favorite cranberry pecan chocolate chip cookies! Perfectly crisp edges mixed with gooey chocolate chips and toasted pecans! The best homemade chocolate chip cookies to make for the holidays. Gluten-free, paleo, and vegan-friendly!
Can we talk about these delicious cranberry pecan chocolate chip cookies for a second? I mean just look at that gooey melted chocolate! This recipe was actually created with my friend Lindsay from Weeknight Bite since she has always been a fan of my famous paleo chocolate chip cookies.
Given the holiday season, we made a version with warm cinnamon spices, toasted pecans, and dried cranberries! Needless to say, we devoured them!! They’re are incredible straight from the oven, and best served with a side of your favorite eggnog or hot cocoa 🙂
Let’s chat about these incredible pecan chocolate chip cookies!
These holiday-ready chocolate chip cookies have the ultimate cookie texture. Soft, gooey inside with a slightly crisp golden crust and all the melty chocolate chips. You will love how the warm spices balance out the cranberries and chocolate! Here are some more reasons they will be your new favorite:
- Gluten-free & paleo
- Vegan-friendly options
- Soft, chewy, & crisp texture
- Refined sugar-free
- Simple ingredients
- Full of healthy fats
- 100% delicious
Ingredients to make gluten-free pecan chocolate chip cookies
- Coconut oil: coconut oil will need to be slightly softened, similar to a butter texture! Therefore, the cookies come out soft and crisp!
- Coconut sugar: this keeps the cookies refined sugar-free while still providing a nice dose of sweetness.
- 1 egg: for a vegan option you can substitute a flax egg. See notes below on how to make it!
- Cinnamon: this adds nice warming flavors to the cookies.
- Sea salt & baking soda
- Almond flour: for the base flour you’ll use blanched almond flour which keeps the cookies grain-free. In addition, it also provides a nice texture! Make sure you use almond flour and not almond meal.
- Dried cranberries: I prefer to use apple juice sweetened cranberries in this recipe. Therefore, the cookies remain refined sugar-free & paleo. Feel free to use your favorite.
- Chocolate chunks: Hu Kitchen baking gems are my favorite to use or dark chocolate chips also work.
How to make cookies vegan:
Yes! These cookies can easily be made vegan by subbing a flax egg for the egg.
How to make a flax-egg: first, whisk together 1 TBSP flax meal and 2.5 TBSP of water. Then allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes until a gel-like texture forms. Once it’s ready, use the flax-egg in the recipe just as you would the regular egg!
Tips for the best cranberry pecan chocolate chip cookies
Chill the dough: Chilling the dough is essential to get a gooey, soft center and crisp edge! I promise it’s worth the wait🙂 First you will prepare the dough then cover and place it in the refrigerator for one hour. Alternatively, you can prepare these ahead of time the night before to save time when baking. Dough will stay fresh in the fridge for 48 hours.
Serve warm: I found these cookies were incredible served warm straight from the oven! If enjoying the next day you can heat them up in the microwave for a few seconds but they’re great either way.
How to store cookies: Because these chocolate chip cookies are made with natural ingredients, they stay fresh for up to 4 days in an airtight container at room temperature. They can alternatively be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
more healthy desserts to bake!
- Vanilla Bean Cranberry Swirl Bars (gluten free + paleo)
- Cranberry Apple Crisp (gluten-free + vegan)
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies (my favorite!)
- Vegan Chocolate Pecan Pie (paleo + gluten-free)
Meet your new favorite cranberry pecan chocolate chip cookies! Perfectly crisp edges mixed with gooey chocolate chips and toasted pecans! The best homemade chocolate chip cookies to make for the holidays. Gluten-free, paleo, and vegan friendly!
- ½ cup coconut oil, solid but soft in texture, similar to softened butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature (see notes for vegan flax egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2¼ cups (216g) blanched almond flour
- ½ cup (3 oz.) dark chocolate or chocolate chips, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, use apple juice sweetened ones to keep refined sugar free
- ¼ cup chopped pecans,
- Flaky sea salt, to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Beat together the coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, salt, and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chopped chocolate, dried cranberries, and pecans. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour (can prepare up to 48 hours ahead of time).
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Use a cookie scoop to form cookies and place on a parchment lined baking sheet; press down slightly. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for 10 minutes or just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or in the refrigerator for a week.
To make a flax egg: whisk together 1 tablespoon flax meal + 2.5 tablespoons water and let set for 10 minutes before using
Keywords: chocolate chip, vegan, paleo, gluten free, pecan, cranberry, cookies, healthy, dessert