Cocoa Date Energy Bars
These Cocoa Date Energy Bars are the perfect gym snack or guilt-free late-night snack! Naturally sweetened with dates, these energy bars require no baking, and are Paleo, vegan, and gluten-free!
I started work today! I was lucky enough to get an amazing internship at T-Mobile this summer, and I had my first day today. It was amazing and exciting and I’m beyond excited about the summer ahead. My official title is Social Media & Employer Brand Intern, which totally fits with what I love to do here on Bakerita!
To be honest, though, I’m exhausted from my hour and a half commute (😭😭😭) so I’m going to keep this short and sweet.
I made these Cocoa Date Energy Bars, which were adapted from The Foodie Teen’s Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bars. Her blog is wonderful. Everything is Paleo and pretty much friendly to every diet because she’s allergic to seventy-two foods. Her ability to make such decadent and delicious treats is so impressive.
I adapted her recipe pretty heavily because I didn’t have a lot of the called-for ingredients on hand. So, my version has cocoa powder (extra chocolate!) and a different combination of nuts. This also means this recipe is super versatile! Switch out the nuts and other mix-ins for what you have on hand.
Once they were ready, I shared them with my sister. She absolutely loved them. They’re chewy and a little bit sweet and come together quickly and easily. They’re absolutely perfect to grab before the gym, or for a guilt-free late-night snack. Also, how awesome that they have no added sugar, are Paleo, vegan, dairy-free, egg-free, AND soy-free?! Oh, and you don’t have to bake them!
Hope you all like these Cocoa Date Energy Bars as much as I did! Enjoy :)Print
- Soak the dates in hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain dates, and add dates, almonds and walnuts to a high powdered blender (like the Vitamix) or a food processor. Process the almonds, walnuts and dates until very fine. Add all remaining ingredients except the dark chocolate and flaked almonds, then process for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is uniform and well combined.
- Press the mixture into a 8×8 dish or pan lined with greaseproof paper (and overhang to remove the bars later on), then let them set in the fridge for about an hour.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave (stirring every 30 seconds until melted), then spread the melted chocolate over the top of the bars. Sprinkle with flaked almonds (if using), then return to the fridge for another 2-3 hours or until the chocolate has set.
- Remove the bars using the parchment, then cut into 12 equal bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
*Ensure chocolate meets your dietary restrictions
Recipe adapted from The Foodie Teen’s Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bars
Enjoy this recipe? Check out some of my similar favorites below!
You might like these recipes too!