This rustic Chocolate Strawberry Galette will satisfy your sweet tooth guiltlessly! This simple Paleo dessert features fresh strawberries and dark chocolate chunks, folded into a flaky gluten-free crust.
I’m bursting with excitement as I write this, because I’m currently en route to Salt Lake City for the Everything Food Conference! I’m going to be meeting and hanging out with a whole bunch of my favorite food bloggers all weekend, and I CAN’T WAIT!
There’s a whole bunch of bloggers going who I have followed, chatted with and admired for years and I finally get to meet them all in real life. It’s going to be so fun and surreal! When this post goes out, I’ll be in the midst of the conference.
I’m sure I’ll be blowing up Snapchat with ALL the food (this is going to be a very delicious + filling weekend) and fun – if you wanna follow along, let’s be Snap friends! My username is Bakeritablog 😀 I’ll be sure to post a little recap with Monday’s post as well.
In pre-conference and pre-moving preparation, I’ve been baking my little heart out trying to create a BIG backlog of perfected recipes to share with you while I’m in flux between Seattle and San Diego. I’ve been teasing a bunch of the recipes on Snapchat, and though I had been planning on holding onto this recipe until a bit later, while I was photographing this beautiful Chocolate Strawberry Galette yesterday and sharing on Snapchat, a few of you asked for the recipe.
Since I hadn’t planned out today’s post yet, I figured I would oblige and share the recipe with you ASAP. So, this one’s for you Rosie! 😉 I couldn’t hold this recipe back from you guys because it’s a little slice of perfection and needs to make it’s way into your bellies as soon as possible. Thank me later!
The crust is gluten-free and grain-free crust perfection. It starts with almond flour, tapioca flour, and just a hint of coconut sugar and salt. Cold butter is cut in, similarly to a pie crust, and then an egg brings it all together. Make sure to leave some little butter clumps for the flakiest crust!
For the filling, beautifully sweet strawberries are key! I got mine from the farmer’s market and they were so small and cute I left most of them whole. If your berries are a bit bigger, slice ‘em in half. The berries are simply adorned with a teensy bit of maple syrup, tapioca flour, and a splash of vanilla extract. Big dark chocolate chunks are nestled in with the berries and piled onto the crust.
I found the crust to be pretty easy to work with, but because it’s gluten-free and grain-free, it does have the tendency to tear more than gluten-filled crusts. To fold up the dough as easily as possible, I lifted and folded the parchment over the filling, and then pulled back the parchment, leaving the dough folded over the filling. I went around in a circle, folding the dough over on each side, and it was perfect and super easy. A little egg wash helps get the crust extra golden brown.
The resulting galette is nothing short of spectacularly delicious. This dough is seriously to die for. I’ve already made one other (savory!) galette with the dough, and you can bet you’ll be seeing a lot more galettes around these parts. They’re way simpler and more rustic than pies, with all of the flaky goodness of the dough and sweet fruity filling. This dough is SO incredibly flaky and rivals any gluten dough I’ve had.
Of course, strawberries and chocolate are a match made in heaven and are one of my all time favorite flavor combinations (evidence: chocolate covered strawberry brownies. chocolate-dipped strawberry chocolate chip cookies. chocolate strawberry oatmeal.) and the super dark chocolate melting all around the sweet berries is pure perfection. Go get some of the season’s best berries, and get baking! Enjoy :)
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!Print
For the crust
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold grass-fed butter (cubed)
- 1 egg (cold)
For the filling
- Combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, salt and butter in a food processor, or use a pastry blender in a bowl. Pulse or blend until the texture of coarse meal.
- Add 1 egg and pulse/mix again until dough comes together. If you’re mixing in a bowl, you may want to use your hands to bring the dough together at the end. Turn out the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the strawberries, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and tapioca flour. Toss until coated. Add in the chocolate chunks, reserving some to put on top.
- Roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment paper into a circle, about 10” across. You want it thick enough to be able to hold the filling and fold up the sides.
- Place the filling in the middle of the circle leaving about 2 inches around the edge empty. Top with remaining chocolate chunks on top.
- Gently fold the sides up, creasing the dough together with your fingers as you go. I used the parchment to help fold up the dough so it didn’t break.
- Beat the remaining egg with a splash of water in a small bowl. Brush the outside edges of the galette with the egg wash. Let dry for two minutes, and brush one more time.
- Transfer the parchment with the galette to the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Adapted from Running to the Kitchen’s Strawberry Almond Galette
- Category: Dessert