These Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins are loaded with chocolate chunks and have a peanut butter swirl – you’d never guess that they’re gluten-free and the batter is sweetened entirely with bananas!
Chocolate, peanut butter, and bananas. Three of my favorite ingredients, and I use each one of them a whole lot individually…so naturally, I love it when they come together into one fantastically delicious dish, like this oatmeal or these nom-worthy pancakes.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins are the one of the best combinations of chocolate, peanut butter, and bananas I’ve had in a while – they’re gooey, chocolatey, rich, and amazingly, fully gluten free and refined sugar free! The magic behind the muffins?
Bananas! Bananas are the secret magic ingredient behind this Paleo Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread where they act as the sole sweetener, and they play the same role in these muffins.
Make sure you use extra ripe bananas so you have that additional sweetness, or you risk the cocoa powder overtaking the banana’s sweetness. Using extra ripe bananas helps ensure you get some banana flavor in your muffins, too!
The chocolate chunks, of course, do add a bit of additional sweetener. You can choose to make your own refined sugar free chocolate chunks, or if you’re really wanting to cut down on the sugar, just leave the chocolate chunks out entirely. The cocoa powder in the batter will still make the muffins super chocolatey!
Peanut butter makes an appearance in a couple ways: it’s used for flavor and fat in the muffin batter, and a bit more is swirled right into the muffins before they’re baked, adding a rich peanut butter-y topping and that makes the absolute best muffin tops.
If peanut butter isn’t your thing (I don’t understand you, but I know you’re out there…) or an allergy forbids you from enjoying it, feel free to substitute in almond butter, another nut butter, or sunflower seed butter. The muffins will still turn out wonderfully!
This recipe is quick and simple and comes together in just a few minutes – it’s the perfect weekend morning surprise for your family, or you can make a batch on Sunday night to keep as breakfast for the week.
These will definitely help you wake up with a smile. Make sure to have one while they’re still warm! ;) Enjoy.
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- 3-4 large ripe bananas 1⅔ cups mashed or 380 grams
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup natural creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup (50g) coconut flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chunks make your own to keep refined sugar free
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter to swirl in to batter
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 12 pan muffin tin with paper liners or grease with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl or mixer, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract and peanut butter until fully combined.
- Add the coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins. Add a dollop of peanut butter to the top of the muffin and swirl in with a knife of toothpick.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 16-19 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Flip out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.