Chocolate Malt Ball Cookies
These Chocolate Malt Ball Cookies are dense chocolate fudge cookies packed with malted milk powder, chocolate chips, and malt balls. These quick and easy treats will fly off the cookie plate!
Sometimes, when life gets too hectic, or demanding, I stop and I reflect and I take a couple deep breaths, and then, when I can, I go bake.
Baking is, and always has been, my form of escape. It’s where my creativity unleashes and I can just get lost in the process of doing.
I’m in a class this semester, Economics of Happiness, and we just read a book called The Geography of Bliss. It follows a man traveling around the world in search of what makes countries some of the happiest, or saddest, places in the world. My biggest personal take away of the book? I want to go to Iceland.
The author, Eric Weiner, describes the culture of Iceland as constantly growing and changing but deep-rooted and worthy of high national pride. They celebrate their failures, learning from their mistakes, frequently changing jobs to pursue new passions, protecting and engaging with nature, and expressing all of their creativity through flow.
I love this idea of flow. Flow is described as “a state of mind where we are so engaged in an activity that our worries evaporate and we lose track of time” (Weiner). It’s enchanting to be able to separate from your worries and let go, and it’s something to be strived for. Baking is my flow.
And last week, I got stressed out, and overwhelmed…so I baked. And in my flow, I made you these amaaazingly fudgy and delicious Chocolate Malt Ball Cookies.
These cookies are not too thick, but they’re fudgy to the extreme. The cookies are made using melted chocolate, which makes them super rich and chocolatey, and chocolate malt powder, which makes them chewy around the edges and gives a super malty, delicious flavor. They’re studded with milk chocolate chips, which work perfectly with the crushed malt balls. The malt balls add tons of crunch and taste soo delicious!
I hadn’t had malt balls in a long time, and these cookies took me back! They taste like a malt ball in cookie form, and if you love fudgy, dense cookies, you’ll love these too. These cookies disappeared faster than any of us were happy about, but I hope that they’ll appear in your kitchen!Print
- 1/4 cup butter (cubed)
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup malted milk powder
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup malt balls (gently crushed)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate. Stir until completely smooth. Cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in the sugars, egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, malted milk powder, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Stir in milk chocolate chips and malt balls. Use a medium-sized cookie scoop to form 16 cookies.
- Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.