This recipe for Easy Chocolate Lava Cakes for 2 comes together in just 25 minutes with only 6 ingredients! These decadent cakes have a luscious, molten chocolate center and if desired, a dulce de leche surprise.
Did you know that chocolate lava cakes are actually super easy to make, and you can have them ready to serve in 25 minutes? Because they’re such a restaurant dessert, I always assumed they were a pain in the butt to make and definitely wouldn’t turn out as well.
That was a mistake. These Easy Chocolate Lava Cakes are as simple as can be, but are still super impressive to serve. With just 6 ingredients and less than a half hour, you can be indulging in rich chocolate cake that’s gushing with a rich chocolate molten center…or, if you’re feeling extra indulgent, you can fill your cakes with dulce de leche or caramel! I added dulce de leche to the center of one of my cakes, and it was decadently delicious.
The key to these cakes is that molten center. A minute too long in the oven and the cakes won’t ooze the way you want them too. The key is to keep them in the oven for about 8 minutes, and then check on them until the edges are firm and just beginning to pull from the ramekin. The top should be just slightly shiny and jiggly. My dulce de leche filled lava cake was baked just one minute longer than the other one, but was considerably less gooey and molten when I dug my spoon in. And that oozing chocolate is just what makes these so irresistible. See rush of chocolate pictured below to be convinced.
If that doesn’t get ya, I don’t know what will. These Easy Chocolate Lava Cakes for 2 are perfect for you and your Valentine’s Day date, or for when you want a little self indulgence. Another awesome thing about these is that you can totally only bake one at a time if you’d like. Just throw the second into the fridge (wrap in plastic first) and bake when you want it (within a week or so).
Easy Chocolate Lava Cakes for 2
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dulce de leche optional
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Butter and lightly flour two 6-ounce ramekins. Set the prepared ramekins on a baking sheet.
- In a microwavable bowl, combine finely chopped chocolate and cubes of butter. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir. Heat in 15 seconds increments, stirring in between each one, until mixture is completely melted and smooth. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg with the egg yolk, sugar and salt at high speed until thick and pale.
- Add the chocolate and flour to the egg mixture and mix until combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared ramekins. If you're using dulce de leche, fill the ramekin halfway, and then add 1 tablespoon of dulce de leche to each. Top with the remaining batter.
- Bake for about 9-10 minutes, or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the centers are soft. Let the cakes cool for 1 minute, run a thin knife around each to loosen the cake, and then cover with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each one over, let stand for 10 seconds and remove the ramekin.
- Garnish with powdered sugar and berries if desired. Serve immediately.