This Cherry Crisp has an irresistible grain-free crumble topping that will have your spoon diving in for more! It’s a sweet and flavorful gluten-free, paleo, and vegan dessert that can be enjoyed all year round.
Cherry season always comes and goes in the blink of an eye. Just a few weeks ago I was getting my hands on the first of the year’s cherry’s…
And then last week at the farmer’s market, they’re hawking that this week is the last week for locally grown cherries. So sad, but you can bet I’ve been stocking up and giving the cherries the love they deserve.
At the beginning of this cherry season, my boyfriend Jesse claimed to not like cherries. The way he demolished part of this cherry crisp would say otherwise, though! My guess is that he had never really had fresh and firm farmer’s market cherries, and his experience with cherry pies and crisps brought to mind sugary, brightly-colored cherry gloop.
I never enjoyed those overly sweetened cherry pies either – the cherry flavor becomes artificial tasting, and you lose the true cherry flavor. Not in this crisp though!
The cherries here are barely sweetened, with just a tablespoon of maple syrup. By not over sweetening, the inherent sweetness and richness of the cherries is allowed to shine. A hint of cinnamon brings out that rich flavor without adding a bold cinnamon flavor – it’s just a little something something ;)
For the crumble, I wanted to replicate the texture you get in an oat-filled crumble, but without the oats to keep it paleo. I turned to flaked coconut – and I was super pleased with the turnout. I chopped the flaked coconut it’s smaller, oat-sized bits and the texture turned out super similar to an oat-y crumble topping.
I didn’t find the flavor to be overwhelmingly coconutty, but if you hate coconut, you might want to sub sliced almonds or oats instead! The rest of the crumble topping is made up of almond flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, and some chopped pecans for extra crunch.
The crumbly topping comes together super quickly and easily. The hardest part of the whole crisp is pitting and slicing the cherries – I thank the OXO people every time I need to pit cherries for their cherry pitter (not sponsored, I just always use this thing for cherries – it is an affiliate link though!). If you’re wanting this out of cherry season, just use frozen cherries instead…and eliminate the hardest step.
After it bakes enough to have bubbling fruit and a golden brown crisp, you’re ready to devour. Add a scoop of paleo vegan ice cream, or whipped coconut cream, for maximum impact, and enjoy! :) You’re going to love this one.
Feeling the cherry love?! You need to try these cherry-filled treats…
- These Paleo Cherry Almond Chocolate Chunk Cookies are SO chewy and satisfying.
- Paleo Cherry Muffins from Paleo Gluten Free Eats are a breakfast must-have!
- This gorgeous Chocolate Cherry Tart with Toasted Almond Crust (Paleo + Vegan) is perfect to serve to company.
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Cherry Crisp (Gluten Free, Paleo + Vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 6” skillet or small baking dish with coconut oil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the cherry halves, maple syrup, tapioca flour, and cinnamon. Pour into the prepared pan.
- In the same bowl, combine the almond flour, flaked coconut, maple syrup, coconut oil, and pecans. Stir until the dry ingredients are completely moistened and then crumble evenly over the fruit.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream or coconut whipped cream.