Vegan Broccoli Chickpea Curry
This Vegan Broccoli Chickpea Curry is a dinner staple that’s so quick and easy to make! It’s loaded with veggies and protein and has a secret ingredient to make it extra rich + creamy. It’s gluten-free and plant-based.
I’ve been making this broccoli chickpea curry for a few months now when I want an easy, rich, and filling meal. It has quickly become a fast favorite of mine and of course, it makes amazing leftovers too.
Every time I shared it on my stories when I was cooking it at night, I would always be asked for the recipe. But of course, it was night, the light was bad, and I couldn’t photograph at the moment. So I’d inevitably forget, until the next time I made it…when a bunch of you would ask again.
Finally, I remembered to make it in the morning to photograph for you guys, and it’s HERE!!! One of my favorite dinner recipes can now be on your table, too.
This recipe is inspired by a curry I got from a farmer’s market stall where they were selling West African food – it was a broccoli sweet potato and peanut curry, and it was so luscious and creamy and absolutely swoon-worthy. I got home and set out to recreate a similar version for myself.
Let’s make Broccoli Chickpea Curry!
I kept things pretty simple, with lots of veggies, lots of spices, a can of coconut milk, and the secret ingredient – peanut butter. There’s not enough in there to make it overwhelmingly peanut buttery, but it adds this richness to the curry that’s so good. It also helps thicken it up a bit, making a nice creamy sauce.
As opposed to the farmer’s market version that inspired this, I went for chickpeas instead of sweet potatoes to add some protein. I also stirred in some fresh spinach right at the end, for a pop of green and extra nutrients.
I love serving this broccoli chickpea curry with:
- Rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice as a base
- Fresh lime juice
- Chopped peanuts
It’s so hearty and fills you up without making you feel overly full! It’s so nourishing — one of my favorite feel-good meals.
If you’re as much of a curry fan as I am, I hope this will become a staple in your house too. I think you’re going to love it! Let me know in the comments below if you try and what you think, and be sure to tag me on Instagram if you share a picture there! xoxox
Want more easy dinner recipes?
- The Best Vegan Caesar Salad
- Pesto Cauliflower Gnocchi with Broccoli
- Cabbage Cucumber Salad with Miso Sesame Dressing
- One-Pot Creamy Lemon Pasta
- Vegan Kale & White Bean Soup
This Vegan Broccoli Chickpea Curry is a dinner staple that’s so quick and easy to make! It’s loaded with veggies and protein and has a secret ingredient to make it extra rich + creamy. It’s gluten-free and vegan, too.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder optional, if you want it spicy
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, add more to taste
- 2 carrots, sliced into thin coins
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1¼ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Lime wedges
- Chopped peanuts
- Heat a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the oil and onion. Saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, fresh ginger, turmeric, ginger powder, curry powder, garlic powder, and salt and cook for another minute.
- Add the carrots, broccoli, chickpea, coconut milk, and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a simmer and then cover and let cook for 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Stir in the peanut butter and then add the fresh spinach and stir until wilted. Add the lime juice into the curry and stir it in.
- Serve over rice with lime wedges, chopped peanuts, and/or microgreens.
Keywords: curry, broccoli, chickpeas, vegan