This Banana Coconut Baked Oatmeal is packed with fiber and potassium for a healthy, hearty breakfast. This easy recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and sweetened with a ripe banana – no added sugar needed!
*2017 UPDATE* This recipe was originally posted in May of 2012, and the pictures didn’t reflect how scrumptious this recipe! Funnily enough, this recipe was one of my first forays into healthier recipes on the site. It’s a super easy + delicious breakfast favorite, and you can even make this baked oatmeal ahead of time. The post below has been kept the same since it was originally posted FIVE years ago, for nostalgia’s sake. Enjoy! :)
Obviously, I really like food.
I’ve always enjoyed food, as most people have for most of their lives, but it was only about two or three years ago that I became particularly enthralled in cooking, baking, food shopping, dining, and everything that surrounded food. Now, It takes up a significant portion of my life.
I’m constantly baking, whipping up meals, reading food blogs, watching food shows, shopping for food, going to farmers’ markets, and enjoying and taking in all that the food world has to offer. It’s always been extremely interesting to me how you could take ingredients that taste boring on their own, and when combined with other flavors, create a melody of delicious tastes that form one delicious dish.
However, I have also begun to realize that when the ingredients I’m combining to create these treats are white flour, granulated sugar, and butter, they’re not the best things to be putting in either my body or anyone else’s. My nutrition-obsessed sister has slowly but surely been teaching me the way to a healthier, more nutritious lifestyle, but she and I both know I won’t give up my baking for anything.
So the solution? Baby steps. I’m going to start publishing some of my favorite, nutritious recipes to share with you all, because who doesn’t want to have a healthier lifestyle these days?! And it’s almost summertime! Got to get those bikini bodies ready ;)
I’ll still be posting my usual recipes as well, but Bakerita is expanding! I promise, each “healthy” recipe I post will be just as delicious as all the rest. Presenting the first: a delicious banana coconut baked oatmeal!
This oatmeal, which just so happens to be gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and vegan, is super filling and an absolutely scrumptious breakfast food. This oatmeal takes just 5 minutes to put together, and 20 to bake.
You can also make them ahead of time and keep them in the fridge – just reheat when you’re ready to eat! My sister and I have been enjoying this many mornings now, and we’re loving it. I love mine topped with some fruit and a drizzle of almond butter. Another plus? It will keep you full for hours! I hope you guys will try and enjoy this recipe.
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Banana Coconut Baked Oatmeal (GF, Refined SF & Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup coconut milk beverage from the carton, not the can
- ⅓ cup mashed ripe banana about 1 medium banana
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease three ramekins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flax seed meal and 3 tablespoons warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together oats, shredded coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder.
- Whisk the coconut milk, mashed banana, and vanilla extract into the bowl with the flax seed mixture.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir until combined. Split the mixture between the ramekins. Top with banana slices, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until oatmeal is puffed and set. Serve immediately.