Almond Blueberry Breakfast Cookies are a quick and healthy breakfast treat or snack. These hearty breakfast cookies, made with rolled oats and almond butter, are gluten free, refined sugar free, and bursting with fresh blueberries!
Happy Monday! I hope your starting this week bright eyed and bushy tailed after a refreshing weekend of whatever it is you did – hopefully taking advantage of the beautiful summer weather and not thinking about how quickly fall will be upon us.
It was surprisingly gloomy here in San Diego, so I spent the weekend relaxing, seeing friends and family, doing a little recipe testing, and watching a whole lot of the Olympics. I’m super into them this year – normally I just watch a few of my favorite events, but this year I’ve been loving all of them.
I get all happy and inspired when I see people so dedicated to their sport and achieving their dreams, and I’m FLOORED by the level of athletic ability (that’s the point, I guess).
And then I get depressed when someone so close to winning and they get passed…like in the women’s cycling road race. Mara Abbott from the US was 150 meters away from winning and then three cyclists passed her at the last second and she didn’t even medal. I was yelling “noooooo” at the TV by myself. It’s an emotional roller coaster.
Thankfully, I can have some cookies for breakfast to help get me through the trials and tribulations of this year’s games – and you can too!
These Almond Blueberry Breakfast Cookies are my new favorite breakfast thing, because hello…cookies for breakfast. They’re super hearty and filling and taste so darn good.
The cookie dough has creamy almond butter in it, which makes the cookies stay super gooey and rich. Rolled oats add a little texture oomph, as do the toasted and chopped almonds. Of course, the stars of the show are the fresh blueberries folded into the dough.
The juicy blueberries burst in your mouth when you take a bite of a cookie fresh from the oven, and when surrounded by the gooey, crispy cookie? It’s pretty much heaven.
The cookies are gluten-free and refined sugar-free – the whole batch is sweetened with just a 1/2 cup of coconut sugar. I found them plenty sweet – especially for breakfast – but if you want a sweeter cookie, you can add up to 3/4 cup coconut sugar.
These are a great snack or lunch box treat too, and of course, they can also totally be dessert! You can keep a batch in the freezer and pop them in the microwave to defrost whenever you’re ready to enjoy…if they last that long, that is. Happy baking! :)
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Almond Blueberry Breakfast Cookies (Gluten Free + Refined Sugar Free)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream the coconut oil, almond butter, and coconut sugar. Add the egg and then the vanilla, mixing until combined.
- Add the almond flour, rolled oats, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and toasted almonds. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- Use a large cookie scoop to shape cookies and place the dough 2” apart on the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are crispy and the center is just set. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before removing to a rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
If you want a sweeter cookie, you can use up to 3/4 cup of coconut sugar.