This Strawberry Cobbler recipe makes a small batch that’s perfect for sharing between a few people. This gluten-free, Paleo, and vegan dessert is made even better with some whipped coconut cream!
Since this Blackberry & Blueberry Cobbler and then this Peach Cobbler, I have gotten very, very into cobblers. The juicy, fruity filling that gets all bubbly and caramelized around the edges, topped off with a fluffy, crispy, and gooey cobbler topping – it’s all very exciting. 😍😍😍
The problem is, I love fruit cobblers a little too much, so I can’t make too big of a batch, or I’ll end the day with cobbler having replaced all my meals. Oops.
To help solve that problem, I shrunk down the size of this strawberry cobbler recipe to fit into my 5″ cast iron skillet. If you don’t have one, not to worry – use any small baking pan you have, OR a few small ramekins, OR double the recipe and put it in a 8×8″ baking pan.
But the pan or pan size doesn’t really matter – it’s all about the delicious strawberry cobbler contents.
The strawberries this time of year in Southern California are out of this world, so I barely used any sweetener in the strawberry filling – just a tablespoon of maple syrup. If strawberries aren’t in season, you can adjust the sweetener up to taste. A touch of lemon juice and vanilla extract for flavor and tapioca starch to thicken are the only other adornments to the sliced strawberries.
The cobbler topping has a good deal of baking powder, so it gets nice and fluffy, with a crisp golden brown topping and a gooier, cakey filling. Together with the strawberries, it’s pretty irresistible!
I topped my cobbler with whipped coconut cream, lightly sweetened with maple syrup and a bit of vanilla extract. It made the whole thing taste like strawberry shortcake, which means it was ridiculously delicious. A scoop of vanilla ice cream would also be a very welcome addition. Enjoy!
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!Print
- 1½ cups (8 oz) sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon tapioca flour
For the cobbler topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 5” cast iron skillet, small baking dish, or two or three ramekins by greasing with a bit of coconut oil and setting on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the sliced strawberries, maple syrup, lemon zest and juice, vanilla extract, and tapioca flour. Stir to combine. Pour the fruit into the prepared pans, dividing evenly if using more than one ramekin.
- In a different bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, coconut oil, non-dairy milk, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon coconut sugar. Mix until smooth and then dollop over the berry mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the pastry comes out clean. Serve with whipped coconut cream.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American