A few posts back, I told you guys I was officially graduated from high school.
What I didn’t tell you is what I’m doing this summer! What is it, you ask?
I’M GOING TO BALI!
Bali, as in Indonesia. I leave this Friday at 1 AM and although I am completely dreading the 24 hours of travel it will take to get there, I couldn’t be more excited to go to Indonesia.
The culture, the people, the sights, the location, yeah I’m excited for all of it. I’m most excited for the FOOD. I’m going with my Momma, my Aunt Veronica (who loaned me the super amazing Nikon camera I’ve used in my last few posts, thanks Vero!), and my sister, who is currently in Jakarta for a summer internship and will be meeting us there for a few days.
I have to say – hands down – the thing I’m most excited for while we’re there is the cooking class. We’re taking a cooking class which takes us through an Indonesian marketplace, teaches us about the spices and cooking methods they use there, and instructs us on how to make traditional Balinese cuisine. A foodies heaven, no?
So while I’m gone, I leave you all with a delicious recipe for key lime pie, so you can get your own taste of the tropics.
It’s creamy, tart, sweet, fluffy, and crunchy.
I added a meringue on top. I could say it was meant to “constrast the density of the filling” or “add sweetness to the tart base” but I really just wanted to use the egg whites that had been left over from the key lime filling. It worked though, it was delicious.
With or without the meringue, this is delicious, so give it a try! It’s a great summer pie.
- 9 (5-by 2½-inch) graham crackers, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- Grated zest of 2 Key limes
- 1 cup fresh Key lime juice (from about 2 pounds fresh Key limes)*
- 4 large egg yolks (reserve the whites for meringue)
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter a 9-inch pie plate.
- Pulse together graham crackers, almonds, and sugar in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl and stir in butter. Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of pie plate. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely. (Leave oven on.)
- Gently whisk together filling ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth and pour into crust. Bake until just set in center, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar together. Add in the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and whip until the meringue holds stiff peaks and looks glossy. Whip in the vanilla extract. Spread meringue on top of the pie and if desired, use a kitchen torch to brown the top of the meringue. Keep refrigerated.
Adapted from Epicurious