No baking required to make these Gingerbread Energy Bites! These gluten-free, Paleo + vegan energy bites are made with dates, pecans, and gingerbread spices – they’re the perfect healthy snack to fuel your day.
Happy Friday! And, happy December…! When did that happen? I swear this year has gone by in about two blinks. I can’t believe we’re already firmly into holiday season, with cookies and candies and treats abound!
And I’ve got lots of those coming up, but today I’ve got a healthier snack…it still tastes like a treat, though :)
Have you jumped on the energy bite/protein ball craze? The ones made with dates/nuts/seeds/oats/other healthy goodness? I’ve made them before a few times, but none of the recipes have ever made their way on here…until now!
Because I can get down with gingerbread and gingerbread flavored everything, and these taste JUST like gingerbread, but in a chewy, healthy energy ball! Even better? They can be made start to finish in 15 minutes, maybe 10 if you’re quick or skip the chocolate drizzle.
There’s no baking necessary here – all the work is done in your blender or food processor. I used my Vitamix and it mixed everything up in a flash (as it always does). The dates are blended up first into a sticky paste, and then pecans, molasses, salt and spices are added.
That’s all! It’s pulsed together until it comes together in a sticky ball, with bits of pecan pieces. That sticky dough is rolled into balls and if you’d like, drizzled with dark chocolate.
The molasses, along with the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves, make these taste just like the gingerbread cookies we know and love. To be honest, the chocolate drizzle isn’t needed – it just made these look at lot prettier than the round, brown balls they looked like pre-drizzle. You can opt for or against the chocolate drizzle.
These are an irresistible snack to have for breakfast, or as a pre- or post-workout snack, or even as dessert 😍 if you’re a gingerbread fan, you’re going to go nuts for these! Enjoy :)
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
- 1 cup pitted dates, about 12
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 oz. dark chocolate, to drizzle (optional)
- Roughly chop the pitted dates and add them to a high-powered blender or food processor (I used my Vitamix). Blend until they're broken down into small bits or a paste.
- Add the toasted pecans, molasses, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves and pulse until combined. The pecans should be in small bits - be careful not to over-process or the oils will start to separate. If this happens, just dab off the excess oil with a paper towel.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Finely chop the dark chocolate and melt in the microwave. Place the melted chocolate into a zip bag or piping bag, snip the corner and drizzle over the energy balls. Let chocolate harden in the refrigerator.
- Keep stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator or freezer.