This Vegan Cheese Sauce recipe is easy to make and tastes good on just about everything! It’s made with vegetables and cashews for an oil-free, dairy-free cheese sauce. You’ll love it with pasta or vegetables, on nachos, and taco bowls, or used as a dip with chips or veggies.
For the cheese sauce
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 cup cauliflower florets, diced
1 small Yukon gold potato, diced
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 to 3 cloves garlic
⅓ cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
⅛ teaspoon turmeric
More spices to add for a Mexican flavor (for nachos, tacos, etc.)
1½ teaspoons cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Steam the onion, cauliflower, potato, carrots, and garlic until all the vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly and transfer vegetables to a high-powered blender.
- Add ½ cup water, soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and spices.
- Blend for 2 to 4 minutes or until completely smooth and silky. Add more water if needed to help it blend smoothly and get it to a thickness you’d like. Add more salt and spices to taste.
- Serve with chips, mix with pasta, use for nachos, or anything else you like using cheese sauce for!