This Vegan Cheese Sauce recipe is easy to make and tastes good on just about everything! It’s made with vegetables and cashews for an oil-free, dairy-free cheese sauce. You’ll love it with pasta or vegetables, on nachos, and taco bowls, or used as a dip with chips or veggies.
For the cheese sauce
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, diced
- 1 small Yukon gold potato, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
More spices to add for a Mexican flavor (for nachos, tacos, etc.)
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Steam the onion, cauliflower, potato, carrots, and garlic until all the vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly and transfer vegetables to a high-powered blender.
- Add ½ cup water, soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and spices.
- Blend for 2 to 4 minutes or until completely smooth and silky. Add more water if needed to help it blend smoothly and get it to a thickness you’d like. Add more salt and spices to taste.
- Serve with chips, mix with pasta, use for nachos, or anything else you like using cheese sauce for!