This Berry Cornmeal Cake is soft, fluffy, gluten-free, and vegan! Use your favorite berries for this simple summer cake recipe. Ready in 30 minutes!
- ¾ cup almond milk or dairy-free milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, white vinegar or lemon juice also work
- 2 flax eggs, 2 tablespoons flax meal + 5 tablespoons water, whisk together and let set for 5 minutes
- 1½ cups (144g) Bob’s Red Mill blanched almond flour
- 1 cup (152g) Bob’s Red Mill fine or medium-grind cornmeal
- ½ cup (55g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (67g) coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup fresh berries, plus more for topping
- Turbinado sugar, for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9″ inch circle or square cake pan.
- Combine the almond milk and vinegar in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes to let the milk curdle into buttermilk. Also make the flax eggs at this point to give them time to gel.
- Meanwhile, whisk the almond flour, cornmeal, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl, making sure to get all the clumps out.
- Add the melted coconut oil, flax eggs, and vanilla extract to the milk and vinegar mixture and whisk together until smooth. Add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until smooth and combined. Fold in the berries.
- Spread evenly in the pan and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar, if using.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Keywords: snack cake, cornmeal cake, cornbread, berries, blueberries, blackberry, strawberry, simple cake, sheet cake