Not eating grains but missing your morning oatmeal? Look no further than this Quick Grain-Free Hot Cereal! This super easy porridge is made in just 3 minutes and it’s gluten-free, paleo, vegan, and Whole30-friendly. This is a staple Whole30 breakfast!
Hi friends! I feel like I’ve been such a slacker lately with getting new posts up, due to a combination of circumstances. I’ve been doing a Whole30, I had a big project I was working on that took up a lot of my time (and stress), and I had an incident last week where I knocked my head on the corner of my nightstand, got a big old bump and bruise, and I’m pretty sure I concussed myself.
I was feeling a little off for a few days after that last one, and didn’t get done any of the work I expected to be done. I’m so sorry! But I’m back with new recipes coming at you this week, and I’m very excited about this one.
Oats are a pretty big staple of my usual breakfast diet. That makes Whole30 breakfast a challenge for me, since I don’t like eggs (except in baked goods!) and my usual oatmeal and smoothie bowls are forbidden.
I had tried some commercially made grain-free “oatmeal” substitutes and they were super delicious, but they also add up price-wise very quickly, and I was sure it was something I could easily replicate at home.
After having this for breakfast a few days in a row, making modifications each day, I finally came up with a winner! It definitely satisfies my hankering for oatmeal in a deliciously grain-free and sugar-free way.
This grain-free hot cereal is made in about 3 minutes. Even shorter if you have the foresight to mix up the dry ingredients, because then all you’ll have to do is add some hot non-dairy milk and breakfast is ready. It’s about as easy as cereal.
It starts off with finely chopped nuts (you can use your favorites, but I used walnuts + pecans) and flaked unsweetened coconut. These are necessary for some added texture, because no one wants plain hot mush. Flax meal, chia seeds, and coconut flour are also part of the mix, and each do their part to thicken up the oatmeal and make it super hearty + full of fiber.
Cinnamon, salt, and vanilla bean powder are added for taste, and you could add any other spices you’d like as well to customize the flavor. Once you’ve got all your dry ingredients mixed together, you can store it for when you’re ready to eat, or immediately add hot non-dairy milk and some sweetener. I used date paste to keep it Whole30-friendly, but if you’re not on Whole30, maple syrup or honey would work as well.
As soon as the hot liquid is stirred in, you’ll notice the it getting super thick and creamy, just the way oatmeal should be! If you like a runnier, thinner porridge, just add a little extra milk to get it to the consistency you’re after. Add some toppings, and voila! Breakfast is served.
This recipe is a game-changer around here! It sure to become a breakfast staple, and I can’t wait to hear what you all think of it. If you’ve been missing your oatmeal or porridge while avoiding grains, this Whole30 + paleo hot cereal is a must-try. Enjoy!
Craving more healthy breakfast?! Here’s a few you’ll want to dig your spoon into…
- You’ll love digging into this Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Bowl!
- Get your oatmeal fix with this Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal.
- Short on time? Prep ahead by making these Superfood Overnight Oats with Easy Berry Chia Compote.
Remember to #bakerita if you try the recipe!
Quick Grain-Free Hot Cereal (Gluten Free, Paleo, Whole30 + Vegan)
Not eating grains but missing your morning oatmeal? Look no further than this Quick Grain-Free Hot Cereal! This super easy porridge is made in just 3 minutes and it's gluten-free, paleo, vegan, and Whole30-friendly. This is a staple Whole30 breakfast!
- ¼ cup finely chopped nuts I used walnuts + pecans
- ¼ cup flaked unsweetened coconut roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract if you’re not on Whole30
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1-2 tablespoons date paste to taste (you can also use maple syrup or honey if you're not on Whole30)
- In a small bowl, mix together the chopped nuts, flaked unsweetened coconut, flax seed meal, coconut flour, chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla bean powder, and salt.
- Heat the non-dairy milk until steaming, and then pour over the dry ingredients and stir until completely combined - it will thicken as your stir. Add sweetener to taste.
- Add toppings as desired, and enjoy!
To prep ahead of time, you can stir together all of the dry ingredients and store in a small jar or container. Just add hot non-dairy milk + sweetener when you're ready to eat.