Not eating grains but missing your morning oatmeal? Look no further than this Quick Grain-Free Hot Cereal! This super easy n’oatmeal is made in just 3 minutes and it’s gluten-free, paleo, vegan, and Whole30-friendly. This is a staple Whole30 breakfast!
Hi friends! I feel like I’ve been such a slacker lately with getting new posts up, due to a combination of circumstances. I’ve been doing a Whole30, I had a big project I was working on that took up a lot of my time (and stress), and I had an incident last week where I knocked my head on the corner of my nightstand, got a big old bump and bruise, and I’m pretty sure I concussed myself.
I was feeling a little off for a few days after that last one and didn’t get done any of the work I expected to be done. I’m so sorry! But I’m back with new recipes coming at you this week, and I’m very excited about this one.
Oats are a pretty big staple of my usual breakfast diet. That makes Whole30 breakfast a challenge for me! I don’t like eggs (except in baked goods!) and the elimination diet forbids my usual oatmeal and smoothie bowls.
I had tried some commercially made grain-free “oatmeal” substitutes and they were super delicious, but they also add up price-wise very quickly, and I was sure it was something I could easily replicate at home for less cost that was so more delicious.
After having this for breakfast a few days in a row, making modifications each day, I finally came up with a winner! It definitely satisfies my hankering for oatmeal in a deliciously grain-free and sugar-free way. N’oatmeal, grain-free hot cereal, fauxtmeal…whatever you want to call it, it is TASTY and super filling.
Did you know you can make this Grain-Free Hot Cereal in 3 minutes??
If you have the foresight to mix up the dry ingredients ahead of time, all you’ll have to do is add some hot non-dairy milk and breakfast is ready. It’s about as easy as cereal. Even if you don’t do the tiny amount of prep beforehand, it’ll take 5 minutes MAX.
To make this Grain-Free Hot Cereal, you’ll need…
- Finely Chopped Nuts: you can use your favorites, but I used walnuts + pecans
- Flaked Unsweetened Coconut: adds delicious texture, because no one wants plain hot mush!
- Flax Meal: used for thickening things up
- Chia Seeds: like the flax meal, this helps thicken up our hot cereal
- Coconut Flour: Each does its part to thicken the n’oatmeal and make it super hearty + full of fiber.
- Cinnamon, Salt, & Vanilla Bean Powder: these all add tons of flavor, and can be adjusted to your tastes! You could add any other spices you’d like as well to customize the flavor.
- Sweetener & Dairy-Free Milk: these are added when you’re ready to serve!
Once all of your dry ingredients mixed together, you can store it for when you’re ready to eat. Or, if you’re ready to eat, you can add hot non-dairy milk and some sweetener. I used date paste to keep it Whole30-friendly, but if you’re not on Whole30, maple syrup or honey would work as well.
As you stir in the hot nut milk, you’ll notice it getting super thick and creamy. The texture is super similar to oatmeal! If you like a runnier, thinner porridge, just add a little extra milk to get it to the consistency you’re after. Add some toppings, and voila! Breakfast is served.
This recipe is a game-changer around here! It sure to become a breakfast staple, and I can’t wait to hear what you all think of it. If you’ve been missing your oatmeal or porridge while avoiding grains, this Whole30 + paleo hot cereal is a must-try. Enjoy!
Craving more healthy breakfast ideas?! Here are a few you’ll want to dig your spoon into…
- You’ll love digging into this Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Bowl!
- Get your oatmeal fix with this Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal.
- Short on time? Prep ahead by making these Superfood Overnight Oats with Easy Berry Chia Compote.
Not eating grains but missing your morning oatmeal? Look no further than this Quick Grain-Free Hot Cereal! This super easy porridge is made in just 3 minutes and it’s gluten-free, paleo, vegan, and Whole30-friendly. This is a staple Whole30 breakfast!
- ¼ cup finely chopped nuts, I used walnuts + pecans
- ¼ cup flaked unsweetened coconut, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract if you’re not on Whole30
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1–2 tablespoons date paste, to taste (you can also use maple syrup or honey if you’re not on Whole30)
- Fresh berries
- Berry chia jam, make sure it’s unsweetened for Whole30!
- Cashew butter or other nut butter of choice
- In a small bowl, mix together the chopped nuts, flaked unsweetened coconut, flax seed meal, coconut flour, chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla bean powder, and salt.
- Heat the non-dairy milk until steaming, and then pour over the dry ingredients and stir until completely combined – it will thicken as your stir. Add sweetener to taste.
- Add toppings as desired, and enjoy!
To prep ahead of time, you can stir together all of the dry ingredients and store in a small jar or container. Just add hot non-dairy milk + sweetener when you’re ready to eat.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 331
- Fat: 21
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 7